Author Topic: Douglas engine  (Read 5830 times)

Offline twosheds

Douglas engine
« on: 22 Sep 2007 at 11:19 »
Hi, I have a Douglas engine, serial number 6929 stamped on the crank case top along side the magneto and a gearbox. Could some one please tell me what year this would be. Would it be possible to find the rest of the parts to rebuild this bike? Regards Jim.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Douglas engine
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2007 at 11:31 »
Hello Jim We need the letters before the engine number if any but even better if there are any letters before the number on the gear box. If there are no letters before the numbers describe the position of the valves. That is two valves running along the top of the barrels or two valves angling down from the cylinder head at 45 towards the bottom of the timing cover. That for starters will help the elimination process regards Al

Offline twosheds

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2007 at 08:01 »
Hi Al, Thanks for your reply there don't appear to be any letters before the engine number. The gearbox number is 7698 but no letters before it,  about an inch above the last digit  is the letter 'J'  on its own. The valves run along the top of the barrels. Thanks for your help regards Jim.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2007 at 08:24 »
Yes Jim,   I say it could be a 3 and 1/2 or 4 hp does it have a sump guess the only way if you cant post a picture is to search the forum for past pics and see if you can find anything close. Al