Author Topic: Tank Caps  (Read 8303 times)

Offline bazza

Tank Caps
« on: 10 Sep 2007 at 07:08 »
Hi All,Having some problems re tank caps for the EW,it was mentioned to use caps from early Morris Minors.
So I duly bought a couple from MorrisMinor.com.au and alas they don't fit too big and incorrect locking fitting can anyone help or does anyone have a couple lying around the shed they might like to sell me .Also think wev'e analised the engine not turning over properly we seem to think that the cam gears etc need aligning properly they seem to be stopping the valves from doing their thing.

Regards Bazza

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Tank Caps
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007 at 08:01 »
Hello Barry, The morrie caps I previously mentioned are the ones fom early Minor or Major A40 and the first 850 minis, engine rocker oil filler caps. They are steel and have oil filler impessed in the cap that you can carefully sand off and plate. Yes they are rare but ocassionally turn up. Al

Offline Stuart Lister

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2007 at 16:54 »
Hi Bazza,

BSA used the same filler cap at around the same time. Theirs have the piled arms logo stamped on , but it easily polishes out since the cap is made of solid brass.  I have also seen pressed steel ones at autojumbles; they fit fine and they are usually very cheap, but they don't look right (I might even have one if your really stuck). I think these are oil filler caps from cars, but I have no idea what sort.

Glad you've solved the engine mystery.

Good luck,

Stuart.

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2007 at 07:23 »
Hi Bazza there are some repro ones doing the rounds at swap meets latley check out the austin guys and also the dealers there is a guy who advertises in the back of restored cars John ??? in picton selling austin morris parts try him also Russel has some his email is exhoarder----------bigpond.com  remove the spaces and insert @ tell him I sent you Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007 at 08:06 »
be good if these fitted pity cant see the other side and may not be early enough
see here

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2007 at 20:18 »
John Neuman is the guy in Picton

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2007 at 08:34 »
I have attached some photos of the caps on my EW. I have no idea if these are the 'proper' ones but someone will be able to comment on that.

« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2018 at 22:48 by Doug »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2007 at 08:59 »
They certainly look the same as the ones on my OC