Author Topic: Fulton's kicker return spring  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Patrick

Fulton's kicker return spring
« on: 02 Jul 2007 at 14:40 »
Can anyone provide me a likely source for a replacement return spring for the kick start lever on a 1932 T6?
It is a clock-type mainspring located inside the right side tranny cover. I'll attempt to attach a picture of that tranny to this posting. Who is the manufacturer of that transmission?
At least one resource sight I found on the web, (possibly through this forum) excluded shipments to the US. Why might that be?
It's been a couple years since my last posting. The format of this forum is unfamiliar and once I relearn procedure, I'll provide you an update on the "One Man Caravan" bike.
I've rescued it again.
Regards and thanks, Patrick in Colorado

« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2007 at 22:39 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Fulton's kicker return spring
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jul 2007 at 01:54 »
The gearbox is of Douglas' own manufacture. The London Douglas Motor Cycle Club has kickstart return springs for the four-speed (yours is a four-speed gearbox) and the three-speed models of this era. However, they may not be able to supply this, as their general liability insurance will not allow them to sell certain 'high risk' spares to club members in the USA. Something to do with the number of lawyers per capita in the USA. A number of the smaller UK clubs have had to enact similar restrictions, while larger clubs with a higher membership and net spares sales are able to afford the higher premiums.

These gearboxes are not all that uncommon on Dougies; first as an option in 1930 and used through 1938 on all the large twins both SV and OHV. The casing varies depending on the mounting and if foot change option (1934-35) was fitted, but the guts and kickstart mechanism are shared in common. So advertising for a used return spring on the forum if all else fails ought to turn up results.

-Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Fulton's kicker return spring
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jul 2007 at 07:13 »
As Doug said, these four speed gearboxes had variations in design of the cases. This looks to be one of the first type which often suffered from damage due to overtravel of the kickstart quadrant. On this type, the kickstart lever is best set to be just above horizontal when at rest so that when operated, the lever hangs vertical without the quadrant striking the inside of the top of the case. Later versions had the case modified to allow more clearance. A third version had the kickstart mechanism altered, with the ratchet mounted on the outer case - identified by a second boss directly below the kickstart shaft. This third type had a modified layshaft to go with the new rachet assy. Also, at some time the gear tooth form changed from 'stub tooth' to 'involute tooth'.