Author Topic: Gearbox Oil  (Read 7982 times)

Offline clee

Gearbox Oil
« on: 14 Sep 2006 at 05:16 »
G'day all from sunny Queensland. I have looked through the site and unless i am blind[ and thats possible], i have not been able to find what oil or oil / grease mixture to put in gearbox's of 2 3/4 hp and 4 hp Douggies. Anyone?  I have one 2 3/4 almost ready to go.  thanks all,  Colin Lee
colin lee

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Gearbox Oil
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2006 at 13:29 »
Any grade of oil leaks out of the gearbox quite quickly. I have stripped gearboxes in which grease has been used and the gears run almost completely un-lubricated in clear channels between solid walls of grease. Some people uses a mixture of oil and grease but the best material I have found is called semi fluid grease. I was given a small flask of this some years ago and have found it to be excellent. Leakage is negligible but because it creeps and is self levelling the gears are always well lubricated. My flask has lost its label so I do not know what grade it is. It comes in three grades, 0, 00 and 000. It very difficult to get hold of in reasonable quantities. It is used extensively in agricultural machinery and Internet searches show that suppliers are few and far between and they like to sell it in drums. A contact in the London Douglas Club recently found a source in Southampton in the South of England in a do-it-yourself size container but it was the 000 grade and that was much too thin and leaked almost as badly as oil so I think it must be the 0 grade that I have (mine is red and came from the USA) but my supply is almost exhausted so I am actively seeking a new source.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006 at 02:22 »
Colin, Penrite make a semi-fluid grease called just that !! It is labelled as recommended for burman gearboxes but is good for any type of box needing semi-fluid grease. I also used a penrite oil called Transoil 250 - very think but not as much as the semi-fluid grease. In my 2.75 it may leak a drop every so often but not too bad. I use it in preference to the grease as it is easier to top up

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006 at 02:28 »
Colin, Penrite make a semi-fluid grease called just that !! It is labelled as recommended for burman gearboxes but is good for any type of box needing semi-fluid grease. I also used a penrite oil called Transoil 250 - very think but not as much as the semi-fluid grease. In my 2.75 it may leak a drop every so often but not too bad. I use it in preference to the grease as it is easier to top up

This is what we use too Ian. I thought I should add that it doesn't flow! So when filling the box, heat it up first otherwise you will wait some days for it to go through the funnel into the hole!
Chris - perhaps the club might like to order some of this stuff from Penrite?
Cheers, Graeme

Offline clee

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2006 at 02:34 »
Thank's fella's, the Penrite should be easy enough to get( i hope). this is one of the best sites going for finding info.  Thanks again to you all. Regards Col.
colin lee

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2006 at 03:35 »
Graeme, you are right about that - my wife is always please when I go into the kitchen to borrow a saucepan !! If in no hurry it will eventually go through the funnel. Also another way I do it is with a squeeze sauce bottle with a widened nozzle.