Author Topic: Magnetos for 2 3/4 restoration  (Read 8042 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Magnetos for 2 3/4 restoration
« on: 22 May 2006 at 02:28 »
I have in my posession two types of magnetos . One being a Bosch  , the other being an EC ( correct spelling?)
Has anyone got advice as to which would be the better , and where in Victoria would you go to get them repaired.

thanks for your time

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Magnetos for 2 3/4 restoration
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2006 at 02:59 »
Michael, what year is yours ? I am pretty sure by the 20's they were using EIC for most of the 2.75 hp models. Mine has that and most I see do as well. BTH were also extensively used but not sure for 2.75.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2006 at 03:16 »
Hi Ian , my engine is a 25 , but I also have a 1918 in parts, thus the Bosch.

cheers Michael

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2006 at 03:51 »
I have a 1924 catalogue here which states under the TS/24 model
MAGNETO - E.I.C. or other first class British make, according to supplies, carried above the engine under the tank where it is immediately accessible and efficiently protected

In all the pictures they have EIC shown - and the 2.75hp parts book only mentiones a breakdown of parts for the EIC A2 - so I think using the EIC is best.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2006 at 05:34 »
Bosch magnetos were used quite extensively on the very early models, my 1911 model has one but EIC (Euston Ignition Company) only came into being at the instigation of the British Government  when the supplies of Bosch equipment ceased at the commencement of the First World War. Once stocks became exhausted magnetos became a critical item as very many vehicles used this form of ignition and existing British manufacturers could not fill the gap. It would be unusual to have had a Bosch magneto fitted as original equipment as late as 1918. As they are interchangeable, (quite deliberate) a magneto from an earlier model could have been fitted to the 1918 engine. Another magneto I have seen on early machines was "Dixie" which I believe came from America, Thompson Bennett was also used by Douglas as one of their Magnetos of "First class British make". CAV magnetos were sometimes used as an alternative to EIC on 4 hp models. I have never seen one as original equipment on a 2.3/4hp.  BTH is very much more common in the 1930s with Lucas in the late 30s. 40s and early 50s before finally a Miller alternator system on the Dragonfly.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2006 at 06:33 »
Thank you both for your help. EIC it is then. :)

P.S. has anyone a preferance as to where to get their magneto overhauled?

cheers michael

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2006 at 06:58 »
Peter Scott in Sydney does a good job, though postage is obviously a consideration.