Author Topic: Magneto problem  (Read 511 times)

Offline yosemite

Magneto problem
« on: 05 Apr 2023 at 22:28 »
Hi
The T35 was becoming increasingly difficult to start when warm, and when spun by hand the spark was weak so fitted one of those easycap condensor  things  and now have a decent spark from one ht lead when flicked over by hand the other side take a bit more speed to produce a spark but  can be done by using a drive in the hole in the drive clutch for the dynamo and spinning by hand.
Swapped the pick up and h.t. lead over thinking it might be a problem with one of them but made no difference, checked point gap and its ok on both sides, I cant think of any reason why there should be problem with one side only. Can any one suggest a cause,everything apart from the h.t. pickup and coil are "common" to both sides of the magneto. The only other thought I had was the earth brush not making a good contact  near the side where the spark is missing but the contact track is clean as is the brush.
Or am I simply getting too fussy and It will be O.K. when fitted and kicked over?
Paul

Offline Polaris

Re: Magneto problem
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2023 at 19:01 »
Hi, I am not a magneto expert in any way, but I remembered reading about condensers. Please see the link.

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/condensectomy/