Author Topic: Dragonfly of despair final fitting  (Read 1503 times)

Offline AndyMorgan

Dragonfly of despair final fitting
« on: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:43 »
So far so good but a little help needed to how and where to install the electrical parts.
First, how do the ameter and switch secure to the nacelle
Next, where do the coil, rectifier and horn attach, I need to make the lower tank bracket can someone please post a photo with the details

Thanks

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly of despair final fitting
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2021 at 12:38 »
Hi Andy, 
              Firstly, the ammeter and ignition/lighting switch should be fitted with a rubber sleeve so that they are a push fit in the headlamp fairing. These sleeves are not listed in the spare parts book. I made mine by cutting about 5/8" from the top and bottom of an old fork gaiter. The sleeves are just 5/8" of tube with an outer lip around the top (so that they dont push right through into the fairing).
    The coil is suspended below the lower frame top tube - there is a shaped rubber block between it and the frame tube, and then retained by a steel strap. The rectifier was bolted to the vertical bracket under the front of the same frame tube (most owners have changed from the inefficient old rectifier to a modern solid state unit). The tank bracket you mentioned also provided the mounting for the horn. On my Dragonfly, I have re-made the tank bracket, in aluminium, to more generous dimensions so that it doubles as a heat sink and mounting for the solid state rectifier, as well as being the mount for the horn.

Hope this helps,
                           Regards,
                                         Eddie.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2021 at 12:56 »
Andy,
         I have just noticed something else on your bike - the hole in the toolbox doesn't appear to line up with the carburretor. You may find that your toolbox was intended to fit the pre-production models (the Dart). During early testing, it was found that there was not enough space available to get at the carburretor main jet, so the production machines had the gearbox casing modified so that the carb was mounted higher. When we were involved with the LDMCC spares scheme, there were 2 toolboxes in stock that had had a false steel plate fitted to the front of the box - presumably, so that the optional air filter could still be fitted when used on the production machines.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline AndyMorgan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2021 at 13:45 »
Many thanks Eddie, just what I needed

Offline AndyMorgan

« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2022 at 15:59 »
Happy to report it all works pretty well and has been out for a short 5 mile run.

Offline patrickwhitty

« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2022 at 05:30 »
Congratulations! I hope it runs as well as it looks.

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2022 at 07:34 »
Well done. Time and effort (lots of both) well spent.
Peter