Author Topic: SW5 with Norton Dolls head Box  (Read 5311 times)

Offline zacgrief

SW5 with Norton Dolls head Box
« on: 12 Jul 2011 at 17:34 »
Hi all,

I get quite a bit of oil dripping from the drive sprocket shaft of my box. I have removed the sprocket and cant see any evidence of a seal or even a fibre washer. Should I use a thicker/ less oil or even gearbox grease when the box is used in this orientation. Any advice most welcome?

Cheers

Zac

Offline zacgrief

Re: SW5 with Norton Dolls head Box
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:18 »
Grease it is then.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:31 »
Try semi-fluid grease (Penrite, an Australian company, make it - not sure if other brands are also available) - this stays in gearboxes that don't have seals on the shafts, unless the bushes are really flogged out of course. It is like very very thick oil - I warm it up before filling the box, otherwise it could take some days to get enough in! Don't use grease - the gears will just cut a track into the grease then nothing will get lubricated at all.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 14:10 »
Zac,

There have been a number of post on the subject of gearbox lube, have you tried the search tool?

Basically it is as Graeme says. You can also make your own by mixing 600w gear lube with standard wheel bearing grease. Aim for a mix that when you drag your finger across the surface at room temperature, it will take about a minute to self-level.

-Doug

Offline zacgrief

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 18:45 »
Thanks, I searched and could not find anything specific to dolls head boxes. I hoped someone might have some experience of using different oils/ grease in these boxes. I have some Castrol spheerol which is a semi-liquid gear box grease I will give that a try, I use it in a Matchless of similar era.

Thanks all

Zac