Author Topic: E 29 engine wanted  (Read 8823 times)

Offline georg

E 29 engine wanted
« on: 12 Sep 2005 at 20:54 »
Hi all
Please I need your help to complete a original and unrestored Douglas E 29.
I am looking for a engine, complete with flywheel and clutch, inlet manifold with carburettor, complete exhaust system and a rearbrake foot-pedal.
Please help me to get this Douglas on the road again in Austria .
Regards, Georg
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2005 at 11:29 by alwyn »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Re: E 29 engine wanted
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2005 at 22:45 »
Hi Georg,
Best of luck in obtaining an engine for your Douglas - I'm sure there will be some offers - in the meantime, what we would all be interested in is some photos of your project - don't wait until it's finished, work in-progress photos are welcomed. See HERE for guidance on how to post your photos.
Alwyn
Global Mod.
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Georg's E29 Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2005 at 13:46 »
Hi all,
Georg has sent in these pictures of his E29 restoration project - looks like he has a solid foundation to work on - we look forward to more photos Georg as you progress - best of luck.
Alwyn
Global Mod.

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger image HERE

Larger view HERE

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2005 at 11:21 by Dave »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005 at 21:54 »
Hi all,
Received this PM from Georg this morning -

"Hi Alwyn
I have got a E 29 Engine today, I swoped it for a " D-Rad Star " Engine from 1921. Also a Flat-Twin.
I will get it on Sunday 9.Oct. and then I will see what parts are missing there.
Regards, Georg "

Thanks for letting us know Georg.

Alwyn
Global Mod.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2005 at 01:53 »
Hi all,
Have received this further communication from Georg - the photos are posted below - I am unsure about  the funny side of the engine number? - perhaps Georg, or anyone else if I'm seen to be missing a point, could give us a lead?
Alwyn
Global Mod.

"Hi Alwyn, Here are some pictures of the E29 engine I've got this Sunday. As you can see the inlet manifold and the carburettor is missing, but I hope I can find it with the help of your excellent forum.
The number on my watercooled engine is EH 3114, funny isn' t it?
Regards Georg"

Here's the photos...

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Larger view HERE

Thanks for the photos Georg - keep them coming in as you progress with your restoration.
Alwyn
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2005 at 11:57 by Dave »

Online Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2005 at 05:08 »
Georg,

The water-cooled conversion is quite interesting, and certainly seems to be no amateurish attempt.

1927 600 EW, E/F28, and E/F29 has two prefix versions.  EH is one.  S/EH, where the S is the numerator and EH is the denominator under a horizontal fraction bar is the other.  This is what your replacement engine is, though the 'S' seems to be worn away.  The 'S' denotes 'Sport' and originally denoted higher compression aluminum pistons verses cast iron pistons, foot pegs verses foot boards, and I think drop handlebars verses normal touring handlbars (though not illustrated in the catalog.)  So EH would be standard, and S/EH would be sport.  By 1928, the standard became the E28 and the sport the F28 (with twist grip throttle), this continued into the following years' E29 and F29.  EH and S/EH engines were allocated serial numbers from the same contiguous sequence. 

Do not be supprised if you open up the replacement engine, and it has cast iron pistons, and not aluminum.  My S/EH prefix F28 was on standard bores and it had iron pistons.  There may have been problems with the alloy pistons (particularly if Douglas tried casting them themselves) and they were swapped out early on.  Douglas was clever with cast iron, but their aluminum was not brilliant.  They were better off when they bought in their pistons.

Inlet manifold, and I think also the carb, should be the same from the 600 EW through the 1929 600 sv models.  Other than the prefix stamped in the crankcase, the 600cc sv cases are identical from 1926 to 1929.  The sight glass oiler changed in 1929, but this change is limited to the timing cover casting itself.  You could of course swap parts between your two 1929 engines if you wanted to retain the correct EH prefix cases for your E29, rather than the F29/sports crankcases. 

-Doug