Author Topic: Wheel hubs  (Read 932 times)

Offline saluki42

Wheel hubs
« on: 04 Apr 2022 at 13:24 »
Hi I have just found the the front and rear wheel hubs in my Model Z jigsaw are in fact 1950s BSA hubs. So I am looking for anybody who has a front, rear or both hubs they are willing to sell. They seem to be the same as fitted to the previous model the T5 or T6 and possible S5 and S6.

Regards
Chris

Online Doug

• Administrator
Re: Wheel hubs
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 2022 at 20:26 »
The hub was used from the 600EW to the 1938 Aero. The 350EW used a sheet metal hub, but around 1930 they lightweight models were using the same hub as the larger models. So quite a few models used that hub so it ought not be too hard to find some.

Your going to need brake drums and backing plates. Those did change over that time up to about 1932-33, then the design stabilized. After 1933 they would be cast iron drums rather than sheet steel, and the backing plates would have a slight overlapping water excluding lip, rather than being flush.

Big problem with the Douglas hubs is finding the obsolete taper roller bearings. There is a post you will find if you do a search about converting to a stronger axle and sealed ball bearings for these hubs.

-Doug

Offline saluki42

Re: Wheel hubs
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2022 at 07:38 »
As usual Doug thanks thanks for the information its definitely made me think I should be able to find suitable hubs for my Z which is making steady progress. Engine now complete as is the gearbox, I hope obviously haven't tried it yet, frame has been straightened and coated and a replacement hand made petrol tank is sat proudly on top of all of that lot.