Author Topic: B29 Generator Drive Clutch  (Read 2182 times)

Offline cycarmark

B29 Generator Drive Clutch
« on: 04 Dec 2018 at 17:20 »
I figured I would give it a try, I need the pancake generator drive clutch mechansim for my 1929 model B29.  If anyone has one and would like to part with it, let me know how much.  I just need the part that threads into the magneto drive gear, plus the little gear that meshes with the generator gear.

Thanks!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: B29 Generator Drive Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 04 Dec 2018 at 22:00 »
You may want to review these posts to make sure you are not missing anything else:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=6562.msg24596#msg24596
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=3495.msg12748#msg12748

If you are missing the ring nut, then presumably the clutch cone and spring are missing too.

I do have some of the small pinions for the dyno that I made years ago. The taper is a little big so they sit just a little too deep on the spindle, but still functional and you can have one for the cost of the postage. Assuming I can find where they are...

I also have drawings for the dyno clutch pieces, if you end up having to make them.

-Doug

Offline cycarmark

« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:14 »
Thanks for the links Doug, that is exactly what I am in need of.  All I have is the magneto gear, the small pinion on the dynamo, and the bearing in the timing cover.  No threaded collar, slip cone, spring, gear, and extension shaft.  Since it is unlikely that someone will have one, can you send me the drawings for the various parts so I can make/have them made.  One thing I was wondering is how necessary the slip clutch is, would the system be ok without the ability to slip?  It certainly would be a less complicated part to make without the cone and spring assembly.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2018 at 13:28 »
The Forum email does not support attachments, so PM me one that send the PDF files to. The drawings are based off the drive for the 350EW, but I think it will be the same for the B29. Just check that the extension shaft will work in the B29 timing chest.

Given the speed increase imparted by the drive, the slip clutch was thought very necessary to isolate the cam gears from the inertia stress of trying to accelerate the heavy BTH armature. Personally, I would not replace it with a solid drive.

-Doug