Author Topic: Brake mechanism for EW with LHS brakes  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Brake mechanism for EW with LHS brakes
« on: 07 Oct 2010 at 07:34 »
Hi folks - hopefully someone can help me here. I have pulled apart the brakes on my E28 to set them up properly and apart from a drum that will not sit on its spline straight I found that the back brake has the wrong cam - its for a RHS brake like on the OC so would not work very well. Has anyone got a mechanism and band they would part with ? I can't even put the correct one thats on the front over to the back as the spline for the brake level is square on that one and I can't get the right lever angle

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Brake mechanism for EW with LHS brakes
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2010 at 08:55 »
Hello Ian,  I have fitted a lot of band brakes to Dougs and found the only difference is in the size of the axles through the backing plates and maybe the removal of one of the 4 adjusting bolts to centre the band. The direction of rotation for the band is easily changed by driving out the two pins on the splined cotton reel. Turn the band over and reassemble the spline and pins and you have a change in direction. Although the pins look to be heavily centre punched they will remove quite easily.

regards Alan

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2010 at 20:36 »
Thanks Alan - looked to me as though the pins were offset to take into account the different rotation - do I have to drill an opposite offset hole for the outer trailing side ?

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2010 at 09:37 »
You won't have to drill any new holes. Just set it up so that the cam action now works in the direction you want. If the pins are put in the wrong place it won't close up to the correct diameter. You will notice the hooks on the inside circumference that take the 3 springs may be facing the wrong way but doesn't  really pose a problem.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2010 at 21:05 »
Thanks Alan