Author Topic: B29 Kickstart ratchet wanted  (Read 4195 times)

Offline macka

B29 Kickstart ratchet wanted
« on: 10 Mar 2010 at 05:25 »
Hi Douglas fans,

Im wondering if anyone can help me find a part for a guy I met in Adelaide last week. He doesnt have access to the internet.

He is desperate for a kick starter gear to suit his 1929 Douglas. He tells me the motor is a 1929 350cc EN series.

Please contact on here or by mobile if you can assist 0413 442 595.

Bellow is some information from Allan Cunningham.

Hello Glenn, Yes EN is the prefix for the B29 sump and saddle tank follow up model to the EW. Any kick start from the RG or WG boxes from EW onwards would be suitable. I don’t have any to spare they are mostly missing when you get a box regards Alan[/b]

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: B29 Kickstart ratchet wanted
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2010 at 07:57 »
Hello Glenn, Guess I read your email wrong thinking it was the kickstarter arm which is usualy missing. Is it the kickstart lever or the gear quadrant or the nut ratchet setup on the mainshaft that comprises 2 locking nuts a rotating ratchet gear and a spring. The nut that locks against the mainshaft bearing can vary in thread form. If it is the nut ratchet setup you require I may have.

In regard to kickstarter arm back in the early 90's we visited a blacksmith with the thought of making kickstarter arms and his reply was that he would easily make using tool steel which he meant old spanner steel. The odd practicing part time blacksmith can be still found working at some historic complexes throughout the country.   regards Alan
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010 at 08:42 by Alan Cun »

Offline macka

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2010 at 12:19 »
Hi Alan,

Im after the ratchet gear.

Thanks, Glenn

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010 at 10:48 »
Hi
I thought that I had already replied but I must have screwed up!
I had a similar problem with my 1930 S6 four speed box. Absolutely no luck finding a part.

I sourced the right steel and made a blank which I gave to a small gear cutting company in Redditch, England.  I gave them all the relevant parts and they set up from those.  I had to arrange heat treatment at another company and then final polish back at he gear cutting company.  £120 plus some travelling.

The ratchet has survived the initial starting issues of a "rebuild fron scrap" project and a couple of hundred miles of generally short trips.  I have not torn down to see the wear to date and have no intention of doing so!  If it aint broke dont fix it!
Regaeds
Michael