Author Topic: Rear Mudguard Fit - M32 K32  (Read 984 times)

Offline Hamwic

Rear Mudguard Fit - M32 K32
« on: 18 Dec 2020 at 16:22 »
Hi All,

I am struggling to get a pleasing fit on the rear mudguard for the M32. I have a number of pattern guards which are of constant radius, and said to be suitable for 19" wheels. If the guard is touching the frame at the bottom front lug, it seems that a lengthy spacer will be needed to get a nice line on the guard itself.  Presumably the rear wheel should just about come out without removing the guard, so I guess some clearance is needed here for this operation. As luck would have it I have chanced upon a moth-eaten MK5 rear guard, which has almost a vertical drop on the front section rather than a radius, and that is better, but a spacer would still be required.

I haven't been able to find a picture of this area of the '32 machines, just artist's impressions etc. Would the original guard not be of constant radius i.e. like the MK guard?  It's hardly the most exciting thing to be taking a picture of I have to say, but if someone could manage a shot of the mudguard mounting arrangement to the upper rear frame, I would be most grateful!

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Rear Mudguard Fit - M32 K32
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2020 at 16:53 »
Doug,

According to the factory drawing, the K/M32 rear mudguard was 14-5/8 inch radius to the crown. I know from my 1934-35 ohv Dougies the rear guard touches at the bottom and the rear hoop, but a lengthy spacer/stand-off is used at the gearbox platform.

-Doug

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2020 at 20:49 »
Thanks Doug, I will see what radius the guards I have measure out at. I will have to determine an appropriate "lengthiness of lengthy" for a spacer, and also the fit of the rear carrier/stays combo - which is of course, from some other unspecified other machine and is being pressed into service. Some cut and shut of the carrier tubes is called for I think.

There being not much in the way of mudguard support aft of the carrier, I assume it is somewhat stiffened by the number plate to carrier assembly? Are Douglas pre-war twins easy on mudguards compared to big singles, or would a hoop stay to the rear be a good idea? I guess one might upset access when removing the rear wheel with the bike on its stand.

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2020 at 23:20 »
Doug,

The K/M32 used the same deep mudguard section as the big twins; so it would be reasonably stiff. Not the lighter, shallower (and flimsy) mudguards like on the EW or A31 lightweights. 

As you probably saw from the catalog image, the K/M32 used the heavier rear carrier/mudguard stay; again like used on the big twins. While perhaps not 100% identical, regarding the height (given the same basic mudguard pattern and attachment just above the rear axle) it out to be very close to what the K/M32 used.

-Doug