Author Topic: mk.v front suspention  (Read 3126 times)

Offline phil1

mk.v front suspention
« on: 10 Jun 2018 at 11:18 »
Hi Douglas friends I have done much work on my newly acquired mk v but fail to see why my front forks go very tight as soon as I tighten the front wheel spindle, I assume it must be tight but this seems to clamp the brake plate, not allowing for any radial movement, any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am done! Phil 1.       
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2018 at 11:24 by phil1 »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: mk.v front suspention
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2018 at 17:56 »
Phil,
       First of all, to check whether it is the brake plate that is being pinched up, remove the bolt from the rear end of the reaction link and try to rotate the brake backplate. It should turn quite freely - if not, experiment with some paper washers between the top hat bearing and the facing plate. When happy replace the paper with a steel shim of the same thickness. Brake plates seldom are tight, but in the past someone may have skimmed a bit from the top hat in an attempt to rectify rattles from the brakeplate.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline phil1

Re: mk.v front suspention
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2018 at 07:11 »
Hi Eddie I have removed the bolt from reaction link and could get no movement from the brake plate, so off it came again! I am looking at the b/plate and all of a sudden the penny dropped! the top hat bush would not turn on, closer investigation revealed it had seized solid. I had to apply some heat to shift it and out it came,I can only think it hadn't received a drop of oil since I was a lad. Thanks Eddie for your advice happy riding. Cheers Phil.