Author Topic: Dragonfly front swinging arm  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Dragonfly front swinging arm
« on: 19 May 2018 at 21:08 »
Hi All
Has anybody got any idea how to remove the long bolt out of the the front swinging arm.

Cheers Kevin..

Offline Red

Re: Dragonfly front swinging arm
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018 at 13:19 »
Hi Kevin

I sympathise with you. When I restored my Dragonfly I used every means I could think of including a hydraulic press. It just wouldn't budge. I heated it with an oxyacetylene torch, but it still didn't make any difference and eventually I just burnt out the rubber part of the bush and then used a hacksaw blade to remove the outer part. Fortunately I was able to source replacement bushes, but I am not so sure this is now possible. I have heard of some Dragonfly owners making up solid bushes, which they tell me are an improvement.

Roy

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018 at 14:22 »
Cheers Roy
I was beginning to look at burning them out but thought i would put a post on here first, but now you have confirmed my worst fears so i will have to start looking around for some replacement bushes.
Oh the joys of restoring a Dragonfly. 

Cheers Kevin..

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018 at 17:16 »
Kevin,
          Be careful if you burn the bushes out - one Douglas Club member did that and ended up having the forks fall apart while he was riding the bike. The heat had adversely affected the brazing and the cross tube broke out of the forks. A better solution is to hacksaw through the pivot bolt either side of the fork cross tube - that will separate the swinging arm from the main forks - the rubber in the silentbloc bushes can then be nibbled away with a small drill or even a hole saw.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018 at 18:32 »
Thanks Eddie.
I will certainly bear that in mind do you think Jim Hunter will able to supply me with new bushes.

Cheers Kevin..

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2018 at 09:16 »
Hi
I replied last night with explanation of how to do it however it looks like the attached catalogue was too large and the whole thing bounced. Will try again tonight. in the meantime check out Robush.co.uk
Part no RB3719

I fitted 2 last December.
Cheers
Peter

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2018 at 14:32 »
Link to web catalog page mentioned by Peter:

http://robush.com/products-antivibration/bushes-2/

part No. RB3719 is about a third of the way down the list.

-Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2018 at 15:27 »
The original 'Silentbloc' bushes had extended inner sleeves, so if these bushes are used, you will need to make up a spacer tube to go between them.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2018 at 20:46 »
Hi
Eddie is quite right. I'll rewrite what I tried to send last night: I replaced my bushes last December.
As someone said cut the bolt so that you can see the rubber in the bushes. Middleton will make you a new one. Drill out the rubber but try not to damage the metal too much. Relatively easy job. That gets the bolt and inner bush tubes out - keep these. You need to saw two grooves in the outer bush about 5mm apart will do careful not to damage the swing arm! now you can use a screwdriver to bend the bush inwards and pull it out. Not that easy  Needs strength and some grips. As I mentioned in my previous reply Robush will supply 2x RB3719. Cost me £64 inc postage and VAT last December. As Eddie said you will need to make a spacer however as you saved the original bush centres you can make one the right size. You will also have to find a way to centalise it so you can push the bolt through. Clean, then use a long bolt or stud and washers to insert the bushes. Job done. I hope it goes well for you.
I replaced mine because once I had taken the bolt out it wouldn't go back. I found that one of the bushes had been made with the centre offset. I don't know how Douglas got the bolt in!

Peter

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2018 at 21:31 »
Peter,
          Your original bushes may have started to separate from the rubber, allowing rust to form between the rubber and the steel sleeves, eventually pushing the inner sleeve to one side. It is very unlikely that it would have been like that from new.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Rex

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2018 at 08:21 »
You need to saw two grooves in the outer bush about 5mm apart will do careful not to damage the swing arm! now you can use a screwdriver to bend the bush inwards and pull it out. Not that easy  Needs strength and some grips.Peter

To make life easier on your screwdrivers (aren't they meant for screwing screws? :wink:) cut two diametric cuts with a Dremel and ball-headed cutter. The two halves then push out with finger pressure...

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2018 at 19:49 »
Thanks Guys.
Knew i could rely on you all for help, iam sure that with all this good advise i will manage to get the darn thing out .

Cheers Kevin..