Author Topic: S.L. Bailey  (Read 224 times)

Offline Peterjmg

S.L. Bailey
« on: 15 May 2018 at 13:53 »
Hi Dave, I've just found this forum after searching on and off for years looking for information on my Great-Great-Uncle (Stephen) Les Bailey. Our family folklore is that he was a motorcycle champion.

I haven't found any information on that aspect, but he's attributed to be the designer of the RA Douglas.

Great photo btw!

Peter.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: S.L. Bailey
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2018 at 17:40 »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the Forum.
You will find Les Bailey's name mentioned many times throughout these pages - a search on 'Bailey' will give you a list of posts.
This post by Doug has some good photos.

Dave

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2018 at 17:50 »
Peter,

You might want to start a new topic on S.L. Bailey under the General Discussion board, rather than buried here under the model RA topic. I corresponded with Ian Bailey, SLB's son back in 2002. He could recall as a very young lad leaving the UK with his father and returning to Australia in 1924. He was able to provide some missing details about SLB after he left Douglas.

-Doug

Note: Topic has since been moved to the General Discussion board.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2018 at 19:07 by Doug »

Offline Peterjmg

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018 at 01:14 »
Thanks Doug and Dave,

I am keen to get reading! I also sent a question to Doug about copying the photos. I see that none of them seem to be personal photos, i.e. they're from print publications, so I'm assuming it's ok to copy them, and will do so?

thanks, Peter.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:14 »

I find myself 1600 km from home, in Northern New South Wales. Along the way we drove through the country town of Forbes, about 400 km (250 miles) west of Sydney.

I hadn't realised that Les Bailey had some history there, but the attached snippet from the Forbes Advocate in 1913 tells the story.

Is there a decent biography of Bailey in the books, the Con Rod, the New Con Rod, or the classic mags? He was a most interesting Australian.

Cheers

Leon