Author Topic: Side stands  (Read 2430 times)

Offline digcot65

Side stands
« on: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:21 »
Hello, I have just bought a side stand for my MK5, in the hope, it would fit.I realized there may be a problem with the exhaust under the frame and I was right.Has any other member overcome this? I have an idea of using the bracket on the LH side which is part of the engine mounting, by welding a 25mm dia rod 50mm long onto a plate and securing the plate to the bracket.If it works out I will send a photo.In the meantime I have more work on the electrics, the horn now works also the magneto cut out, however, the ammeter has been changed at some time and now when the lights are switched on the ammeter is showing a charge, and when the engine is running the ammeter doesn`t move.Further tests, there is a good output from the dynamo with the two output sockets bridged and a meter from there to earth.The lights brighten when the bike is revved only slightly  ( not to damage the dynamo ), but there is no movement at all on the ammeter, so that`s the next job. Does anyone know if the voltage control unit gives much trouble? I will have to check the wiring from the ammeter through to the cut outbox. Len
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2018 at 15:18 by digcot65 »

Offline Red

Re: Side stands
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2018 at 16:26 »
Hi Len

I used a side stand I modified from an early Honda CBR 600. The attachment is a 5mm steel plate I made which is bolted to the foot rest through bolt and the plate is notched so it locks under the foot rest. Works a treat and can be removed in a few minutes and the bike is back to standard. See photos

Roy

Offline Red

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2018 at 16:27 »
Another photo

Offline digcot65

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2018 at 07:58 »
Hello, it looks very good and very professional.Since I have now bought a new sidestand and some steel to do a modification, I will have to go ahead and try it. If it works out OK I will show photos,if not I will keep quiet !!! Len