Author Topic: I need your HELP to identify this Douglas  (Read 3971 times)

Offline PaulArnaud

I need your HELP to identify this Douglas
« on: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:23 »
Hello everybody, my name is Paul, I'm French, this is my first post on this forum. Could you please help me to identify this motorcycle (model and year). Thinks a lot!
Paul
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:18 by PaulArnaud »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: I need your HELP to identify this Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2018 at 20:12 »

Hi Paul,

Always a bit dangerous trying to identify bikes from photos, but on the surface the bike seems to be a 1914 Model U - two speed with foot boards. No clutch or kick start on a Model U.

Of course the "1914" date often matters, particularly in the UK for the Pioneer Run. I'd be pretty sure the frame is pre-1915 (because of the rear stand pivot on the chainstay), but I'm not entirely sure of the motor. In 1914 I'd expect to see the two-piece timing cover, but your photos are not clear enough to show it. The One-piece cover came in for 1915. The rear carrier is also a slightly later thing - I think this style came in around 1915 or 1916.

To be sure, the best way is to check engine and frame numbers.

Cheers

Leon

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2018 at 21:10 »
I agree - the frame and forks look to be veteran (pre 1915) but the engine looks to be later as it has the one-piece timing cover (screws positioned differently to veteran models). The rear carrier is also from a later machine. The bike has also been fitted with a wider than standard front tyre (perhaps, the reason no front brake is fitted).

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline PaulArnaud

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 07:02 »
Thinks you very much Eddie and Leon for your precious answers. As a new in Douglas' it's a bite hard for me to identify the difference beetween models which look very similar at first. Someone told me that it's a 600 cc but now I've more than serious doubt on this!

Could you please tell me where the engine and frame number are?

I wil post more pictures of the bike this morning.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 07:23 »

Yep, 2 3/4 h.p. or 350cc. But a very pleasant, rideable bike all the same. Hard to find a hill that will stop a 2-speed Douglas. I can tell you that it will cruise at beautifully at 50kmh; Edddie will assure you it will do 80!!

The frame number is on the horizontal part of the frame near the gearbox, and the engine number is on the top of the crankcase. I'm sure we'll find the motor is post-1914, but it's quite a nice looking bike despite that.

Cheers

Leon

Offline PaulArnaud

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 09:02 »
Here is more pictures about the bike could you tell me what you think about it. Is there any books or document to help me to identify with certitude douglas from this period?
thinks a lot
Paul

Offline PaulArnaud

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 09:09 »
more pictures

Offline PaulArnaud

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 09:14 »
last but not least

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 21:59 »
Hi Paul,

The bike has obviously been restored at some stage, but it looks to be a really nice thing. Rebuild the front wheel with the correct rim and it would be a lovely bike, other than the engine dating issue. A lot of the detail is particularly nice, and mostly correct for late 1914 or 1915.

The interesting carburettor is Douglas, and similar to - but not exactly the same as - the one often found on the 1914 2 3/4. I wonder if it might be from a 3 1/2 h.p.? Perhaps someone can say for sure.

Numbers will be interesting. Douglas was a tiny manufacturer before 1910, but by 1913 the annual production was 5400. In September 1914 they had an order of 90 bikes from the War Office, a further 100 in October, another 200 in November... so regardless of what catalogues and magazines said regarding the specification, by late 1914 I'm sure Douglas were assembling whatever parts they had to hand. I think we agreed that something like 25-30,000 Douglas motorcycles went to war - mostly 2 3/4.

Of course once the bikes were in service, all manner of mix-and-match occurred to keep the maximum number of bikes in running order. No-one paid too much attention to what the catalogue said.

Cheers

Leon

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 22:43 »

1914 Douglas Model U

Offline PaulArnaud

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2018 at 19:10 »
Thinks you Leon, did you see my private message?