Author Topic: Mk 5 front fork  (Read 722 times)

Offline dalgrae

Mk 5 front fork
« on: 23 Dec 2017 at 11:01 »
Hi I seem to have a small oil leak from the front fork bottom aluminium caps ,I have taken one off having noted the caution regarding the fine thread ,but cannot see how the seal in the bottom of the cap will come out ,I can see the middle small diameter stub tube is steel so is this removed from the ally bottom cap nut to expose what I assume is the copper seal as yet I do not know if club spares stock these seals ,or is there another fix that I can use so as not to have to take it apart,I was considering using Wellseal compound on both threaded parts to stop the oil leak .
As I said any comment /advice most welcome

Regards. Colin

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk 5 front fork
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2017 at 11:52 »
Colin,
          The steel stub tube provides a restriction that gives the rebound damping to the suspension, and prevents it topping. This tube has a head on it that makes the seat for the copper/asbestos washer. If the tube has been disturbed, there may be some dirt between it and the bottom of the alloy cap - in which case, oil may be able to escape under the stub tube and up the thread. The Club spares scheme used to stock the copper/asbestos washers, but if you cant get new ones, I would suggest that you wash all traces of oil from the threads on the fork tube and cap, then smear the thread in the cap with water pump grease and reassemble. Any oil will then have to force it's way past the thick grease before it can escape.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2017 at 13:59 »
Hi as ever thanks for this reply,I have  taken your advice and smeared the threads as suggested and reassembled the parts back together again .

Regards. Colin

Offline Red

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2017 at 14:37 »
Hi Colin

I am sure Eddie's advice is the best procedure, but if you look at page 23 of the Sept/Oct 2017 Conrod Neville Heath gives a detailed description of how to remove the copper/asbestos seal.

Roy

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2017 at 17:16 »
Thanks for the reply ,I have tried Eddies method on one of the fork legs and it seems to work ,I have also confirmed that club spares stock the new seals ,I will see how it goes over Christmas regarding the the fix and then decide ,at least I am spoilt for choice as to what to do .

Thanks to both of you

Merry Christmas

Regards. Colin