Author Topic: Buying a bike with a non original, re issued registration  (Read 267 times)

Offline tidyrob69

Hi,

Does anyone know the implications of buying a motorcylce that has had its original 'higher value' registration sold and had a newer less valuable issued in its place. Would it de-value the bike? I've been offered a bike but the seller will sell it cheaper if he keeps the original 1920s registraion.
I'm not sure its a good idea as it affects the originality of the bike.

Rob

Offline oily bloke

Re: Buying a bike with a non original, re issued registration
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2017 at 16:36 »
I believe the original reg is part of the bikes history and identity. Personally I would see this as raping the history of the bike and in the future may make life hard for anyone who wants to research it. I have a 1912 Triumph which this happened to by the dealer who robbed it of the family who had it for the previous 80 years from new. I was lucky as I have the bikes history documented.
But hey, what do I know?
If I were in your shoes I would value the plate and deduct this from the asking price or, most probably, walk away. An age related plate does not devalue the bike too much but scraps the provenance and that is where some of the value lies.

Offline Jonathan Hewitt

« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2017 at 19:13 »
Good evening , you say less valuable, is it not true that any replacement registration is age related and non transferable . therefore no value at all ! 
    Many years ago I sold a number from a bike that I had owned as a seventeen year old ,I had owned the bike for 11 years and still regret to this day selling that number.I still own the bike 45 years later.  NUMBERS SHOULD STAY WITH THE MACHINE .
Jonathan

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2017 at 06:57 »
Funny thing I bought one of my dougli fully restored but cheaper because some oik had used it's original reg on a Porsche. Amazingly it hasn't affected it ride or reliability isn't that what is important?

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:16 »
There was a dealer near Swindon who routinely sold off the original registrations and then had an age related plate issued ,it did not bother me when I bought my Mk5 from him.

Regards. Colin

Offline tidyrob69

« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2017 at 22:00 »
Thanks for all your input chaps.
I agree the reg should stay with it but the guy is probably going to sell the reg anyway if I don't buy the bike.
To say a bike is worth more because it has a valuable reg shouldn't come into the issue in my opinion as it shouldn't be seen as a separate entity.
If the seller sees the reg as a separate commodity and he can still sell the bike for marginally less then I don't have much bargaining leverage.
Agreed the ride and reliability is the important things but when I'm looking to buy, the cost is important too, especially if it needs some restoration.
Rob