Author Topic: 1927 EW sport 350 Steering Damper  (Read 2938 times)

Offline hartleys1

1927 EW sport 350 Steering Damper
« on: 31 Oct 2017 at 13:35 »
Hi
Can anybody help I have just started restoring a basket case 1927 EW sport.
The steering column has one nut for adjusting the bearings a steering damper that appears to clamp over the column threads (internals look like a collet) a crown nut which has a larger diameter thread .
I assume this is an aftermarket fitment. If the damper fixing plate (see photos)  is attached to the handle bars does anyone have a photo or drawing of the bracket so I can make one. Also can anyone confirm if what I have described is correct and who was the manufacturer.

Keith

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1927 EW sport 350 Steering Damper
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2017 at 14:43 »
Keith,

Very interesting. The 350 EW Sports did have a "special steering head damper", which I did not realize until just now when I read the fine print on the catalog specification. It cannot be seen in the catalog illustration; not even the tail strap that ought to anchor it to the top frame tube. That must have had some sort of universal clamp that went around the frame tube as there is no factory provision for anchoring it.

I suspect the damper was bought in. On the bottom I can see stamped "Patent Pending" which Douglas did not bother to do on their own items. In any event they never had a patent issued for a steering damper like this. They did patent the multi-plate type used on the 600EW and OC, as well as a contracting band and drum type. It does seem to have been made for the EW, as the cap that draws the collet closed is a parody of the standard steering head cap, including the slots to pass the control cables down through the center of the steering stem. The difference is the cap is in steel rather than aluminum and the height of the hex is much reduced, probably to save weight. The threads in the standard aluminum cap would certainly have stripped on the meager purchase of the little bit of thread that is protruding.

-Doug

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2017 at 09:22 »

I think it's probably the Bowden steering damper described in GB Patent 261208. The patent was applied for in December 1925, and granted in November 1926, so the dates are about right. Douglas did a lot of business with Bowden Wire Ltd, who supplied them with handlebar levers.

Cheers

Leon

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2017 at 09:29 »

Here's the clamp, and the Bowden logo that is often stamped on Bowden parts.

Leon

Offline hartleys1

« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2017 at 16:37 »
Thanks to Doug and cardan for replying to my request for information. It certainly looks like the bowden damper in the patent drawing.

Keith