Author Topic: How is built the gas/oil tank on a 600 Aero  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Eric S

How is built the gas/oil tank on a 600 Aero
« on: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:00 »
I planned to coat the inside of the tanks with a resin. I then realised this has been done in the past.
Either poorly made or too long ago, I removed the enclosed parts from inside.
I feel degreasing the oil tank and coating the gas tank with all the corners are worthless especially when the tanks are in rather good condition.
What is strange to me is the fact that the gas tank part on the left communicates with the right side where the gas tap is. But then why do I have a line going from left bottom side to right bottom side? What is the use of this line when the left and right portions of the gas tank are opened (I used nuts in the tank to shake and remove old resin and they were going to both sides).
This bottom line was plugged with resin debris when I removed it.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:10 by Eric S »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: How is built the gas/oil tank on a 600 Aero
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2020 at 14:37 »
I'm not sure if the Aero tank is the same, but earlier tanks had the oil compartment suspended inside the petrol tank - just the filler neck and the bottom fittings connecting the two together. The oil compartments also had cross tubes, so the tanks also acted as oil coolers while the petrol was circulating around them. The pipe across the bottom that connects the 2 sides of the fuel compartment is there to allow petrol to balance out across the 2 sides when the level gets below the height of the central tunnel.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Eric S

Re: How is built the gas/oil tank on a 600 Aero
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2020 at 18:52 »
Of course, I did not realised the tunnel was not going all the way down! Makes sense.