Author Topic: ew wheels  (Read 162 times)

Offline shuswapkev

ew wheels
« on: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:22 »
having laced some safety bead wheels to my ew hub...
the wheels worked out well...

but then...while the wheel is true...turns out my brake drum has about .080 of wobble.. ..  side to side
is there some system of truing these wheels....???     or do you just keep adjusting??

mine has the wheels with spoke thru the drum about halfway up

Offline oily bloke

Re: ew wheels
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:10 »
These EW hubs are weak given they are pressed sections brazed/silver soldered in place. I had a similar problem with mine. I resorted so de-lacing the wheels. Centred the hub with spindle and bearings in the lathe and pressed the drum as square as I could then lightly skimmed the drum. I was then very careful to lace up evenly. Once the nipples have bitten, no more than a quarter turn at a time to true.  There is so little meat on the drum you cannot take much out. The next step will be to shrink a thin ally band over the drum to help with rigidity as it flexes under braking. The rear wheel was fine. I guess that the sprocket mount gives a bit more strength.
Hope that helps.
Andy

Offline shuswapkev

Re: ew wheels
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:33 »
andy

thanks for the advice...will give that a go..
my drum has some deep scores...I was thinking of turning a band and dropping it inside...??
I have some cast iron dumbbell weights...the at least the drum would be cast iron if that makes any difference

not sure yet how to turn a band...  right now making a backing plate to use turnip brakes shoes as I have only found one original brake plate and band...that's going on the front

motorcycle