Author Topic: Light car / stationary engine parts  (Read 566 times)

Offline nickh

Light car / stationary engine parts
« on: 09 Mar 2017 at 22:50 »
I am a stationary engine enthusiast (have a WW1 Marconi Douglas 2 3/4 hp among other things) and spotted this ebay item. Last thing I need is another project so I'm hoping it will interest someone on here to save me having to rescue it! I have no connection with seller BTW.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252803453552?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apologies if such posts are not allowed.

NHH

Offline Reg

Re: Light car / stationary engine parts
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:28 »
Nick,
Just for your information and others that may wonder where this engine originated from. It appears to be part of a lighting set which were available circa 1925 and came in two types. One having a rated output of 4kw at 1400rpm and the other 5kw at 1500rpm. They were 10hp lighting sets with a bore and stroke of 88mm. The description given in the 'Handbook of the Douglas Generating Set' says:- 'The generator is direct coupled to a water cooled motor. Bore and stroke 88mm and rated output 4kw at 1400rpm. This is a beautifully constructed set, complete with mechanical lubrication, governor etc., mounted upon a cast aluminium base. An ideal set for workshop or house lighting' The parts shown would only amount to approximately 20% of the complete set. The early ancestry of this engine may have derived from the engines that went into the earlier Williamson motor cycle which had the same bore and stroke measurements.
Reg.

Offline nickh

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2017 at 11:09 »
Thanks for the reply Reg.

I wondered about the Williamson but all pics I can find have valves to the side, rather than above cylinders, also bore and stroke is usually quoted as 85 x 85mm. The pre-war light car OTOH was 88 x 88mm with valves above cyls. (see pic in 'Best Twin'). Eric Brockway suggested that water-cooled units were generically referred to as 'Williamson' engines being built in the same department.

I have pictures of similar engines on both a lighting set and also WW1 wireless transmitter (attached with thanks to the very fine Grace's guide). I have no idea whether there is any commonality of parts or of course demand, but thought (hoped!) it might interest somebody on here. If there are no bids towards the close of play. I guess I'll have to go for it as seller has told me that anything which does not sell from his garage clearance is destined for scrap.

NHH
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2017 at 13:01 by nickh »

Offline nickh

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2017 at 22:46 »
Oh well, I have stuck a fifteen quid bid on it just in case. Please feel free to outbid me - if I get it, it will probably be in exactly the same condition when they put me in the ground and most likely end up being scrapped by whatever poor sod has to deal with the mess I leave.

NHH

Offline nickh

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2017 at 20:37 »
Quick sit rep; picked it up to day and it's probably better than it looked in the listing. Apart from a few bearings, what is there should clean up into a useable state. What isn't there is mag, carb and inlet pipes, idler gear, oil pump and miscellaneous fasteners. EDIT; Also one valve with guide, spring etc and a tappet cover.

Still don't think it's one I want to do but at least it's safe.

Cylinder dims confirmed as 88 x 88mm as per pre-war light car BTW.