Author Topic: E29 Restoration Project  (Read 304 times)

Offline TonyC

E29 Restoration Project
« on: 27 Feb 2017 at 14:00 »
Hi Folks,

I have just started to restore an E29 Douglas which has been hidden away in a shed for the last 50 years.
On the rear mudguard there are a series of holes which I assume are for a pillion seat, but all the photos I have seen show a rear carrier fitted. Does anyone have a photo of what the pillion seat should look like?
The front brake plate is severly corroded, would this be the same as the back plate.
Also the images of E29`s on the forum recently show the sight glass for the drip feed on a different angle.

Any comments appreciated

Regards

Tony

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: E29 Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2017 at 14:43 »
Hi Tony,
              With that loop stay for the rear mudguard, I think you'll find that it is a F29 - not an E29! Also, the slightly different position of the sight glass may be due to the fact it is fitted with the optional electric lighting set, and a little more room was needed for the generator.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2017 at 14:49 »
Tony,
          As far as I am aware, the plain brake plate (without the lip that goes over the edge of the brakedrum) came in 2 versions. On the inside there are lugs for return springs and adjusting screws. Some plates had 3 springs, others had 4. Also, the adjusting screws are positioned differently on some plates.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Foppoli Matteo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2017 at 17:48 »
hello Toni also my rear fender is the same as yours, but no holes for the saddle! and no door parcel|
perhaps a sporty version?????? :question:

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 00:48 »
Tony,

The E/F28 spares list states the same part number for the front and rear backing plate. I cannot see why the 1929 models would be different.

In 1929 the E/29 kept with the parcel rack as used on the 1927-298 models, but the F/29 had a loop stay like the subsequent S6 models. Footrests were standard for the F28-F29 but I am sure the customer could specify whatever they wanted. 

The timing cover you show is what I associate with the 1927-28 models, and as fitted to my F28. The '29 models should have the Enots sight glass mounted on a corbel of the timing cover. They did make these with the dyno as I have seen two (including Matteo's). They seem much less common than the non-dyno cover. Yet I have seen plenty of 1928 models with the provision for the dyno (even if the dyno had long since been removed.)

1929 cover with dyno:

1929 cover without dyno:

-Doug

[fix typo. 28Feb17 Doug]
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2017 at 02:51 by Doug »

Offline richard s1

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 23:12 »
Hi Tony
        If you email me a photo of the inside of the brake plate and the brake band I may be able to fit you up with one.
Regards
       Richard

motorcycle