Author Topic: need a few bits for a '28 E29 600  (Read 3478 times)

Offline rtwdoug

need a few bits for a '28 E29 600
« on: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:06 »
It took 3 years, but I was finally able to talk a guy out of this.
I got it running, ordering a front tire today so I can ride it!
I cant wait!

motor # SEH1231 frame 1227, gearbox WG1302

anyhow, I would like to find a few bits for it
the leather tool boxes that go in the rear rack, (or at least the steel box mounts)
an acetylene tail light/license plate bracket
acetylene generator
original petcock (mine broke when I was taking it out)
some original paint sheet metal, or older repaint, I prefer original looking bikes more than restored ones.
thanks, Doug

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: need a few bits for a '28 E29 600
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 00:18 »
Doug,

So you ended up with old Doc Patt's F28. I had it in my garage for a few years in the eighties. Made a few minor bits for it and got it running and road it a few miles while Doc was having a new barn built. I had a bit of inner tube looped around the saddle nose spring to slip over the hand shift knob to keep it in top gear. It was very lively on the rock-hard tires!

S/EH 1231 in 1987:

I own S/EH 1232; both bikes were originally exported to Canada and were fetched down to the lower 48 in the mid-sixties by AMCCA members.  I got the leather faced toolboxes made by one of the vendors in the UK back in the eighties. Probably not still in business, but there are others still doing the same thing. The petcock was bought in by Douglas from Enots, but only used on the 1925 (or so) to 1928 models. A slightly different style was used in 1929, so not an easy item to find. You will likely have to fabricate a replica. Mine has its original petcock too, but the plater lost the engraved hex head bung that went in the bottom after I spent a lot of time repairing the buggered hex. Argh!

-Doug

Offline rtwdoug

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 10:32 »
thats cool to know some history of it, thanks!
post a picture of the one you have, if you dont mind. We should get em together sometime, they'd probably enjoy that :)

Mine came to FLA from NY, I was told it was Doc's old bike. It doesnt look like much has been done to it in the last 30 years.

I have a new tire on the way, I had to cut the old one off, it was so bad. I hope to be riding it by the weekend.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 14:54 »
Doug,

Actually they have already been together, though perhaps not side by side. S/E 1232 was (and still is) in the cellar and S/EH 1231 was in the garage. S/EH 1232 did not fare so well as S/EH 1231 and was missing a lot of pieces; particularly the contents of the timing chest, tappets, tappet guides, valves, and springs. Doc lent me S/EH 1231 for a few years so I could copy it. I return, I made a few bits for it like the kickstart lever and bought an extra return spring for it when I got one for mine.

I do not know where in eastern Canada each machine came from. Oddly enough, both Doc Patt and Milbey Jones (who had mine) were up in Canada in the early to mid-sixties hunting for a Matchless Silver Hawk as well as any other odd and interesting British bikes for their collections. That apparently being the place to go at the time; trans-Atlantic shopping being prohibitively expensive for most. The both got their Silver Hawks and the Douglases were brought back and ended up in Pennsylvania twenty five miles apart.

S/EH 1232 on arrival.

Replicating bits

Slightly assembled.

I saw S/EH 1231 at the Oley, PA AMCA meet about three years ago when the then owner had it along for display and was preparing to try and start it for the first time. He expressed doubt to those gathered to watch that it might not as there was not telling where the settings and adjustments were at. He had a sparkplug out and was trying to establish the timing and I told him not to bother, the timing was o.k. I got a skeptical look, but was able to surprise him that I knew the machine and the settings and adjustments were just fine the last time I ran it. Later that day I saw him riding it about the swap meet area.

-Doug

Offline rtwdoug

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 18:48 »
that was Erik, that had it at Oley a few years ago. I tried to talk him out of it then to do the cannonball race on, but he wouldnt sell it.
Now I was finally able to get it. Is yours finished now? I may bring this one up to Oley this year.

I like how yours looks with the old paint. I'm hoping I can find some similar bodywork for mine.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2017 at 21:13 »
Doug,

I had heard talk of using it for the Cannonball Run, but knowing first hand how narrow the center web of the crankshaft is (all of about 5/16 of an inch) I did not think very much of the idea. You do not want to over-rev it.

Mine finished? Haaaaaa, haaaaaa, haaaa, haaaaa...

Need to finish making a new petrol tank or completely re-doing the solder of the original, and about thirty thousand other projects ahead of it.

-Doug