Author Topic: B29 and EW camshafts  (Read 2864 times)

Offline carl denton

B29 and EW camshafts
« on: 14 Jan 2017 at 03:47 »
hello all

I have got a bit stuck on my B29 engine that I am trying to assemble at the moment , I now that B29 and EW motorcycles use a very similar camshaft just they are different widths and also is their anything that stops the camshaft end float? as they seam to have a large amount of end float I,E looks like about 10mm ish . any photos would help lots .

yours carl     

Offline oil baron

Re: B29 and EW camshafts
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2017 at 05:59 »
Hi Carl

The camshaft end float is governed automatically.  The camwheel is located by the cam followers, the inboard cam operating the valve on the front cylinder, the outboard cam operates the valve of the rear cylinder.   The foot on the cam followers, one on each side of the cam wheel therefore controls the end float. Hopefully it will become clear once you have installed the cam followers. I have hopefully included a couple of illustrations from the 350cc Douglas manual which if you have not got a copy can be downloaded from the website www.barnstormers.co.nz you will find it under manuals, you will have to scroll through until you find it.  There are one or two other Douglas manuals etc available on the site, well worth a look.

Cheers  SteveL
Steve L

Offline carl denton

Re: B29 and EW camshafts
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2017 at 06:02 »
hi mate

thank you so much for the help , but still not sure about the thickness of the cam shafts I have two thickness cam shafts in the box thick cams about 10mm and thin about 7mm , that is the thickness of the teeth.

yours carl.