Author Topic: running board fixings  (Read 1566 times)

Offline shuswapkev

running board fixings
« on: 03 Jan 2017 at 09:40 »
need more help

26 EW

the running boards...I have enough remnants to fabricate a pair of new running board tube mounts

what I need to know is what the mounting bolts or??   look like as the holes are different sizes

the rear tube..i see the frame is threaded...what does that fixing look like??

Offline carl denton

Re: running board fixings
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:01 »
hi

do you have any photos of what your trying to work out , I have a few that I can look at .

yours carl

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:26 »

I cant get my pictures on...???
  the computer has more patience than me...
     need to know
what the rear bolt looks like...goes thru the frame sections  from running board tube thru  rear fork to seatpost tube
I,m pretty sure I have the right running board tubes...

and how the front rod fixes..holes are different sizes  does it hang down below the frame

get my missus to reduce the pictures tomorrow...see if that is whats wrong

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:36 »
  the front one..i have enough pictures of the front one to work that out.. must be a tube type distance piece in the frame bracket

the fixing bolts for the back one...even a pencil drawing...I have the dia and thread size...
the larger dia threads...obviously they just screw in ...but is there a rod or sleeve ?? that goes thru the frame

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan 2017 at 16:31 »

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jan 2017 at 00:50 »
doug 
    again...that's an absolutely huge help...thanks heaps

I have most of one side of each tube part with the brackets,,  just have to bend up the back one
 ok...try the ol sand filling and furnace ..
      the front one should just  have a tube spacer between the frame brackets

the back???   the inside of the frame tube is threaded...easy enough to make a bolt? to screw in and fix the r.b. tube thing....now the question...does anything else go thru the frame sections??  like thru the r.b. bolt thing??

the front r.b. tube...is that just straight??   I guess the tube must be straight to keep boards level
also  both of my r.b. tubes are cut square...not pinched as the pictures....I assumed they were original as the brackets have the same type weld, braze on them???  like...2 spots

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jan 2017 at 00:53 »
back again

the rear r.b. frame fixing is roughly 5/8 and threaded...looks like a tube that goes thru the frame to fix the rear fork to the seatpost tube and front section

soooooooo  if I make a threaded 5/8? bolt go in the hole...to fix my boards...is that it??  for that frame connection??

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jan 2017 at 01:22 »
I sort of have a recollection that it is a shallow hex headed bolt from each side that retains the rear fork and the foot rest bracket to the lower frame lug. Possibly a shoulder bolt?

I have drawings for the front and rear footrest bracket if you need them (PDF files).

Some of the Douglas foot boards used clamps that grabbed a fully round tube. It seems the 1925-16 350cc EW used this style. In 1927, they went to the pinched tube style, through bolt, and no clamp (the type that I have).

-Doug

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:35 »
doug

thanks again...again a big help
     time to start cutting metal..
I think the rear fork frame junction is held together with a tube threaded inside...(that is still in there) and some 5/8? bolt things, fitted in the ends..hold the running board mount and tighten the frame connection...all looks easy enough to make

I am having some issues adding pictures....  must be I am spending too much time on old motors and not enough time on learning computer skills...

I have the weld on tube fixing bracket...the tubes only have one good side and and the other is  crushed and rusted to nothing...  will be all new metal by next week

thanks heaps for the help

motorcycle