Author Topic: EW600 pistons  (Read 768 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
EW600 pistons
« on: 08 Dec 2016 at 20:48 »
Folks, trying to work out what to do with my E28 which seized a couple of months ago. Need to replace the pistons. I have two options

1. I have a set of good standard bore cast pistons - would need to sleeve the barrels

or

2. Get some new pistons around +30 or +40 (barrels are currently +20). This would be preferred - however I am not having any luck so far sourcing. I have seen mention of Kawasaki pistons on the forum but not details of model. I have also written to JP Pistons to see what they can do. Any suggestions ?

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: EW600 pistons
« Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2016 at 21:26 »
Hi Ian

JP supplied me with new oversize pistons for the S6, they are probably the same dimension piston as the EW?

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2016 at 21:54 »
Not sure Graeme, there were lots of differences in the motors. I have sent them the specs anyway to see what they come up with

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2016 at 08:48 »
Hello Ian, Yes I used the Kawaka pistons in both my 28 and 29 600s. Approx 25 years ago I think. I can remember pushing the small end bush out and finding a pin that fitted firm in the gudgeon hole it is a matter then of reaming the piston gudgeon hole to take a turning fit within the piston. Now the pistons are standard 70 mm I think and I believe some were from fuel injection models. I was lucky enough to be allowed to roam through a motor cycle wreckers in Brisbane and pay only a matter of a few dollars for my selection. Some motor mower mechs are capable of cylinder boring your barrels. More clearance on the rear to prevent seizure. Will need to put a 1/8 in spacer under barrels and a slight mod to intake manifold.
Sounds a little complicated but it worked fine for me and I think the cc s are up to about 630.

regards Alan.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2016 at 18:34 »
Thanks Alan