Author Topic: Douglas mk3 1949 vintage Exhaust Pipes.  (Read 5525 times)

Offline terry mortimer

Douglas mk3 1949 vintage Exhaust Pipes.
« on: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:21 »
Hello, I have been unable to source a pair of mk3 exhaust pipes ( that's the short pipes that fit the waffle box configuration) Could shortening a  pair of longer pipes made for the mk4/ mk5 be possible and adapting the pipes to suit the retaining brackets on the frame. I've tried all possible outlets all to no avail. Terry.   

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas mk3 1949 vintage Exhaust Pipes.
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2016 at 13:41 »
You can, but you have to bend them a little. The long pipes lie entirely on a plane. The short pipes converge towards the centerline of the bike and enter the woffle box at an angle.

-Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2016 at 16:11 »
Terry,
         Have you tried Technical Tubes at Three Legged Cross, Dorset? They used to make them for us when we were involved with the Club spares scheme.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline terry mortimer

« Reply #3 on: 02 Dec 2016 at 14:24 »
Thanks for the replies. I have tried Technical Tubes Eddie but they cannot help I've tried Fekkes and Armours who say the are no longer made, I just cannot source them any place. As suggested I could purchase the longer pipes and shorten them but the bending I'm not sure about  as this would be an unknown area for me. How is it done? anybody know. Is there any club member with a good set of pipes that they are willing to sell? Terry.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2016 at 14:45 »
Terry,
          Another avenue might be to surf the internet for someone supplying mandrel bends in stainless steel. Get hold of two 180 degree bends and a length of straight tube - then cut the 180 degree bends at 90 degrees, apply the twist and get someone with a TIG welder to weld them back together, then add on the extra to get the correct length. After a little fettling, you will have a good pair of pipes without the cost of chrome plating.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2016 at 00:07 »
If you do go the route of bending and cutting the long low pipes, the bend is quite modest. It was a long time ago when I converted mine from the long, high system (Mark 3 Sports) to a woffel box. But as I recall I stuck the cylinder end in the bench vice with either something inside to support the tube or cut two blocks of wood to sandwich the outside. Then I just grabbed the long end and pushed it sideways a little. Leave the pipe the original, full length so you have leverage. It did not even pop the chrome as the bend was affected over the entire distance of the U.

-Doug

Offline terry mortimer

« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2016 at 07:49 »
Many thanks guys for the help and information . I now have a couple of options and I'm fairly confident I'll win out in the end. Once more many thanks. Terry.

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec 2016 at 06:51 »
I had just dismantled the exaust pipes of a MK1. They are just straight and fit the wuffle box. has MK1 an other dimensions from exaust port to the wuffle box?
Are they original, there are no fixings to the frame lug.

Michael

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:33 »
Regarding the difference between Mk1 and Mk3-4 waffle box pipes.
The different design of the heads means that the exhaust outlets are closer to the frame in the Mk1, therefore pipes are almost straight where the later models require a fair bend so that they enter the woffle box at the correct angle.
Terry, if you do not already have straight pipes to "tweak" I suggest it would be cheaper to get the correct bends made up, there are numerous exhaust pipe benders that will do the job, regarding TT tubes that Eddie mentioned, the last time we approached them they were not too keen, rather surprisingly, as they had always been so helpful in the past, its interesting that you found the same. If you want details of anyone that will do one offs let me know via email and I can dig you out the details. One snag with my usual company is they really like to have the bike on site so they are confident they have them right!!
Dave