Author Topic: makin springs  (Read 709 times)

Offline shuswapkev

makin springs
« on: 25 Sep 2016 at 12:02 »

needed the spring for my exhaust valve lifter
  did a bunch of googling... and some you tubes...   then found some spring wire

wallah...worked great..   took maybe 6 tries with a bit of adjusting here and there...coating all in grease made a big difference  ....the tang has to be not much more then wire thickness
  if you need to make one...  this is how I did it

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: makin springs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2016 at 00:05 »
Nice job on the spring. What is the purpose of the double back wiggle in the rod?

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:17 »

Graeme

the double back wiggle on the decomp rod?????
   I really don't know...that was going to be one of my next posts...why??? pretty complicated bend...unless its been annealed...very likely to break....and leave with a unstoppable douglas...

and as I don't have my next post...   is that supposed to be just a straight rod???
I reckon it would sort of work better as the threaded end would be up near the top of the cable tube...
I would really appreciate some advice on that

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2016 at 18:56 »
A similar mechanism and rod is used on the 600EW; though the lifting links are forged rather than stamped. Perhaps it is the lift rod out of the bigger engine 'shortened'. The rods are supposed to be straight. The length should be such that the connection to the cable nipple falls within the riser tube screwed into the top of the crankcase. That stops the nipple from jumping out of place.

Picture of the 350EW rod here:
http://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=3327.msg12090#msg12090

-Doug

motorcycle