Author Topic: intake manifold EW  (Read 379 times)

Offline shuswapkev

intake manifold EW
« on: 23 Sep 2016 at 22:46 »

I have 3 intake manifolds
  all have a good alloy block and all have the thin tube in pretty shabby condition... rusted away.. dented..
they are sort of useable with lots of silly con and string??  o rings?? bits of rag????   they do look pretty daggy...
  does anybody have advice for replacing the iron tubes...??? into the original alloy block...
  for fixing the 3 together...there are lots of good types of metal to metal glues available...  that's pretty much what holds our cars together today...
was thinking of bending up some stainless?? 
 any thoughts??

Offline oily bloke

Re: intake manifold EW
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2016 at 08:57 »
Hi,
I am not totally sure but I think the tubes were brazed up as a complete entity and the ally was cast over it making it hard to restore.
If I were in your shoes I think I would cut off the legs and machine back into the ally and let in new stainless tubes glued in as you suggest.
Bear in mind that when running the tubes get very cold and when parked up they get very hot when the heat transfers back from the motor so be well advised as to the glue you use. The aluminium expands and contracts so much more than the ally.
Another option would to be to leave a stub and glue the new tube over the top. May possibly be detrimental to the breathing but, to be honest, its not the best designed inlet tract I have seen. Make sure you have the bends right to reduce the stress on the new join as much as possible.
Another option would be to make new tubes from ally and TIG them on.
Hope that helps
Andy

Offline shuswapkev

Re: intake manifold EW
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2016 at 11:44 »
  oily

never thought about leaving stubs....will try that before machining out..as both ends are fixed very well...a very nice fit would likely do the trick...the fixing material would not be under any stress...