Author Topic: handlebars to fit dragonfly  (Read 812 times)

Offline kncken

handlebars to fit dragonfly
« on: 12 Aug 2016 at 08:26 »
Does anyone know a source of handlebars to fit the Dragonfly please? The main problem is the distance across the two clamps seems to be longer than other machines (5 inches,125mm.). Norton style straight 'bars satisfy this requirement but raise another issue with touching the tank filler cap on full left lock.A local shop has some that would fit but they have rather too much rise for my liking.Over to you Dragonfliers now......thanks,Ken.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: handlebars to fit dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2016 at 08:57 »
Ken,
        When we were involved with club spares, Technical Tubes at Three Legged Cross, Dorset used to make them for us. If they still have a pattern, they would probably make them for you. They used to offer the option of mild steel or stainless.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline kncken

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2016 at 10:52 »
Thanks very much,Eddie.I'll look into that.Best wishes,Ken.

Offline kncken

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2016 at 22:07 »
Hello again,Eddie.Just to say I did try the folk you suggested but sadly 'no dice'. Thanks again,Eddie,best wishes,Ken.

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2016 at 09:20 »
Hi
I have a pair which are nos or from club spares in the 70s which can used for measurement as they wont have been crashed and bent. They are more comfortable than Norton straight. I don't know how to measure them!
Roy's rider

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2016 at 14:18 »
Hi Ken,
I have just sent you a personal note, please email if interested.
Dave

Offline kncken

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2016 at 20:53 »
Thanks Roys Rider and Dave Lawrence,for replies to my post.I found a pair that were on my Velocette MSS,1959,though I've no idea if they were original equipment.They have the required wide,straight centre section to properly clear the clamps. Several 'bars I looked at were ALMOST ok but not quite,resulting in some potentially destructive and dangerous stresses on the clamp caps,bolt threads and the handlebar brackets themselves. I think many 'Fly owners may be blissfully unaware of this easily overlooked problem and it's possible consequences,ie losing one's handlebars whilst at 50mph in the traffic.....Anyway,thanks once again,chaps,best wishes,Ken.                       ps;unfortunately the 'bars I took off the Velo did not have any markings on them so can't give anyone a reference.