Author Topic: My 1920 2 3/4 hp Project  (Read 8981 times)

Offline pvn06

My 1920 2 3/4 hp Project
« on: 29 Apr 2016 at 18:50 »
This is my 1920 Douglas 2 3/4hp project (and a spare engine from a bit later vintage in the background), recently purchased as a basket case.
After years of building, riding, racing later british bikes (particularly Norton's) . . . I have always had a hankering for a Douggie flat tanker - and am over the moon to have recently picked this project bike up.
In fact, I am so enthused now - I think this project might jump the queue on a couple of other bikes I am also working on . . . if for no other reason that there seems to be less of this to restore than my other similar projects!

I have always liked building competition bikes and really fancy building this bike to be a rep of the 1912 TT bike (the spec of my 1920 bike seems very little different!), so any help, advice or parts contacts very much appreciated!
Particularly . . . am looking for gearbox sprocket, period controls/downturned handlebars and stem, Amac carb parts or any comptetion parts.  Also, wondering if anyone has had exhaust pipes bent to shape? as I fancy trying to copy the 1912 TT pattern type
best wishes
Paul Norman
www.racingvincent.co.uk

Offline carl denton

Re: My 1920 2 3/4 hp Project
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2016 at 12:23 »
hi
was just looking threw your photos , and got to ask the girder forks in the photo they are from a early 2 3/4 not 1920 ????

yours carl

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2016 at 03:38 »
They are Carl

Offline carl denton

« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2016 at 05:34 »
that's ok as long as you now they are incorrect forks for 1920 , just realised your from my old part of the woods , I used to live in new arley and used to work at windy corner ... at the moment I have got 12 bikes the same as yours to get back together ,be good to see your bike when its back together .

yours carl

Offline pvn06

« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2016 at 09:23 »
Hi Carl,
Yes I realised they changed (that year?), however, I have seen something written that they were still fitting the older type forks through 1920 until they were used up?  Added to this, I want to build the bike in 'TT Rep' fashion, based on the pre-war TT bike (1912/13/14 era), and they are more correct for this spec than the post '20 type.  I have seen earlier forks with both straight and curved side links, not sure which were fitted for which years or models? (still got a lot to learn about Douglas's - but that's half the fun!).

Incidentally, I stripped them this weekend for a trial fitting - what a lovely time warp, they look like they have not been used or stripped for very many years.  As well as looking to have the original castellated nuts, I also found what looked to be the original wasted fork spindles with 'flats' which I assume was to aid the flow of grease.  Not sure they are good enough to re-use though, will wait until I refurbish.  the forks even have 3 of the 4 original grease nipples, very dinky and different from modern ones - will try to carefully clean these up as they have a few knocks
Incidentally, for anyone restoring a set of these type of forks - as well as traces of nickel on the side arms there was also traces on both the bottom yoke (which surprised me) and the top yoke.
Another very interesting feature was the bolt/pin for clamping top yoke to bottom yoke spindle.  It has a mushroom head - but is drilled just under the head, which I assume is to hold wire that secures it into the corresponding slot in the top yoke, interesting.  On later bikes I restore I normally make up new bolts if less than perfect, but will try to save as many as practical on this.

This weekend I also cleaned up and checked the little 2 speed gearbox (which I believe is 1920 from the number).  I made up new (stainless) studs and top nuts.  I chased the gearbox threads before fitting, but the casing, threads and condition look pretty good.  I might have made studs fractionally too long, but want to fit thick spacer washers top and bottom to ensure secure clamping to frame without risk of flex. 
Incidentally - while cleaning I found a small 'P' stamped on the side of one of the geabox lugs, does anyone know what this stands for, if anything? (the main gearbox number is preceded 'LG').
Final thing - I do have a tank top gate for the bike, but it is the later 3-speed gate, if anyone has the 2 speed top gate (which I believe had 'Low'/'High' cast on it) surplus for purchase, I would be very interested.
Cheers
Paul Norman
www.racingvincent.co.uk
« Last Edit: 02 May 2016 at 09:37 by pvn06 »

Offline pvn06

« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2016 at 09:31 »
And other photos attached:

Offline carl denton

« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2016 at 12:32 »
hi
the privet pins for the forks are badly worn but that's fairly normal for those forks . take a look at bert poll motorcycles web site he is very help full he might even have the brass gear change gate . I now he has the gear change arm on top of the tank as you will have to change that too . are you a member of the London Douglas motorcycle club they are a big help . as for the girders you have I do now that they were trying to use up all the parts they had in stock , normally if they used the early forks they also used the frame with the headstock brace tube fitted .  the other thing they did do was re sell ex military bikes I have one from 1919 in parts .

yours carl

Offline pvn06

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2016 at 19:39 »
Hi Carl,
Thanks very much for info . . . very useful to know about Bert Poll.  I went to his site and saw all his bright sparkly bits - and asked for a price for some of them.  I haven't seen an email yet, but then again am drowning in my normal sea of Norton customer emails (from my own area).
However, had a bit of luck since sending this email and have now managed to get hold of a sight oil glass regulator of correct type - and a couple of spare bodies, although I had to fight for them on ebay - better to get them on ebay than never see them at all is my motto, I used to spend years looking for rare parts before ebay, now I am just continually penniless!
I have also machined the 2 speed belt dive variable pulley wheels since last posted this, and made a lock ring (2.5" inch diameter stainless bar that took a very long time to cut on my mechanical hacksaw!).
Thanks Carl and will keep learning - did not notice the pre 20 headstock brace tube until you pointed it out to me - thanks for that!.
 . . . and another photo taken last week, with machined pulley now fitted.

Here is a question for the the early racing people - I  have been holding a very early Andre damper for about 20 years (purchased from my  old friend Titch Allen - I think it was a spare for his Bigport AJS) waiting for something suitable to put it on.  I know it is probably a bit late for a (TT rep) 2 3/4HP model - but have trial fitted it, and after a bit of jiggery pokery have made it fit.  I suspect it will sit very close to the 2 speed gearchange knob when I get one fitted - but will not foul it.  Bottom line - I like it, and will probably not ever have a mid 20's bike to fit it to . .  . so my question is - does anyone know when dampers first fitted to Douglas competition models?  I am probably going to fit it anyway, but would be nice to know it is almost in keeping with my 1920 model!

chrs
Paul
www.RacingVincent.co.uk

Offline pvn06

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2016 at 19:42 »
Always seem to have to attach photos separately:

Offline pvn06

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2016 at 19:43 »
and these:

Offline Domas