Author Topic: Front Stirrup Brake 1915  (Read 1422 times)

Offline DocAustin

Front Stirrup Brake 1915
« on: 19 Oct 2015 at 04:47 »
Hi, I would appreciate any pictures of the front brake assembly for a 1915 or similar 350.  I would like to make a replica for my restoration.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Offline Hutch

Re: Front Stirrup Brake 1915
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2015 at 00:52 »
Hi Ian,

The veteran stirrup front brakes appear to be quite thin on the ground. I was going to make some for my 1915 2 3/4 project, but ended up getting them from Bert Pol in Holland.

http://www.bertpol-vintagemotorcycles.com/parts%20Douglas.htm

I can take some pictures of them if you need them (they are still just as they came from Bert)

Quality is good but you still need to size them to fit your forks and nickel plate them. Don't expect them to slow you down much !  :lol:

Cheers

Ian

Offline DocAustin

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2015 at 12:36 »
Do you have a picture of them fitted to the bike.  I am interested in how the top end and Spring are positioned.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2015 at 00:45 »
Hi Doc Austin,

I don't have a front brake plunger / spring arrangement, part 133D in the 1925 Parts List as I'm also still looking for one. On the veteran forks I have (which are really a basket case), the locators for the bottom arms of the  stirrup brake have been removed (as appears to be quite common) - so sorry, no pictures for the stirrup brake in place.

My understanding is that the outer part of 133D is the same as the one used on the crankcase for the exhaust valve lifter. I could be wrong though, but it does look very similar. I will see if the one I have screws into the top of the forks.

The plunger part of the valve lifter is different to the one in the exhaust valve lifter. The brake part has a long rod which connects to the brake stirrup. The Bert Pol brake comes with a short length of what I assume is the correct diameter rod for the plunger, attached to the pull rod of the stirrup brake. (It is used to hold the bits together for transport I suspect?) I can measure that for you. The spring could well be the same for the brake and stirrup brake but I don't have the brake one for comparison.

Hopefully someone else on the forum can help you (and me  :)) out with some better details / pictures of the spring / plunger part of the veteran front brake.

Ian

Offline Hutch

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2015 at 02:25 »
Here is a picture from a post by Black Sheep about his 1913 2 3/4 which is very original. This shows the stirrup brake parts quire well and better than any mock up I could do with the parts I have.

from :- http://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=4516.0

Cheers

Ian

motorcycle