Author Topic: Douglas racer with "Pre Freddy Dixon" RA motor  (Read 1371 times)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Douglas racer with "Pre Freddy Dixon" RA motor
« on: 27 Sep 2015 at 23:22 »
I notice the "rough as bags" Douglas dirt track racer is now being offered on ebay in the UK, after quite a number of tries on ebay Australia. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221897750685

I quite like the bike, but don't want to own it. If you're tempted, please be wary of the description which has grown increasing flowery.

In particular the advert states: "ABSOLUTELY "AS RACED" THE RAREST 500cc OHV RA ENGINE KNOWN existing.... Early 1923/4 PRE FREDDIE DIXON AIRBOX DESIGN"

This is incorrect. The air box (exceedingly hard to find) is missing and the (incorrect-for-RA) carburettors attached directly to the (OB, not RA) heads.

"An amazing, priceless find, THIS MACHINE IS VERY expensive & a true survivor,  in dirt track & TT racing, unrestored A NON toffee apple, genuine survivor."

OK, enough already. As usual, buyer beware.

Leon

Offline Hampshirebiker

Re: Douglas racer with "Pre Freddy Dixon" RA motor
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2015 at 08:33 »
The postage will be a bit hefty, won't it.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2015 at 09:40 »

Come over and ride it home?

Seriously, I suppose it could be shipped for a couple of thousand $A.

Leon

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2015 at 12:36 »

the bike is definitely a bit of a train wreck  ....   and far out of my budget...  but where else could you get a genuine race bike (raced?) and raced well past its prime....on a shoe string budget... I reckon this is the absolute  holy grail...the pedigree is certainly  a bit dodgy...  but its something where some body... just  had a few good runs..
if I could afford it..it wouldnt be on ebay...  be in my man land...and it would stay just as It is.... this is the kind of bike, on the best night of your life...that would take you right thru the heats...and beyond all hope...qualify for the grand final   ... and then ..die... 50 feet off the start line... take it home...and push into the back of the shed..and just forget about it...  ya know...almost won the hat and the belt buckle...

course I am the kind of bloke that would walk right on by 3 Ferraris and 2 porches...for just a real slim chance on a 69 440 dodge charger...  or a 1970 454 chevelle SS

if you ever get all the way down to Invercargill...better check out berts indian...the similarities are amazing...say what you want...his 1920 Indian records held for so many years...and he did it himself...his way

as far as shipping sodermicheals  .... usa to aus..$500.00....  likely less to Europe...boats going back empty...

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2016 at 09:27 »

For those who dream the dream, the bike is going around for another try, both in Australia and the UK.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222086296774

I can't think of a bike that has appeared on ebay so many times without changing hands.

If you wish to buy it, make sure you know exactly what you are buying. If you want it only as an "object", go for it - it's a great object. Probably not so good as the basis for a restoration.

Leon

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2016 at 22:08 »

Just in case you were feeling bad that you missed out last time, and the time before, and the time before...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322371432245

Leon

motorcycle