Author Topic: straightening out my parts  (Read 5720 times)

Offline kev

straightening out my parts
« on: 14 Sep 2015 at 12:10 »

this is 1926 ew...  getting my girder fork together....the blades...looking from the top...down to the axle hole...should they be straight??  mine have a nice bow in them..
I have a suspicion this bend isn't supposed to be there.....the one straight tube..  that should just be...straight??

the rear stand...should that be symmetrical??  same length measured diagonally from where it contacts the ground to the mounting holes??

I feel I am getting close to having something to push around..

Offline carl denton

Re: straightening out my parts
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2015 at 13:14 »
hello

the left hand blade has got a slight bend in it to accommodate the brake drum on the left hand side , not sure about the stand as I don't have one yet my self .

yours carl.

Offline kev

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2015 at 12:09 »
thanks carl..
 the right blade is straight...and the other does have a bit of a bow in it with the peak at the brake bracket  so I,ll leave  "straightening ?" until a get  further with the assembly

Offline carl denton

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2015 at 12:56 »
if it helps I can take some photos of one of my front ends with the wheel and brake in place ?

yours carl

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2015 at 14:41 »
Carl,

If the EW350 girder blades are like the A31 (and they look very similar), then both are not straight. The right-hand blade has a very slight kink about 14 inches up from the axle and the left-hand blade a pronounced kink 8 inches up from the axle to clear the brake drum.

Regardless of where the bend occurs, the offsets for both girders are the same. From the inner face of the axle lug to the inner face of the lower link lug: 1-3/8 inch. From the inner face of the axle lug to the inner face of the upper link lug: 1-3/4 inch. Because the blade on the brake drum side has the bend closer to the axle, it looks more abrupt, but the offset for the upper and lower link and the axle lugs are symmetric. So it is on the A31, and I suspect the EW350 would be the same.

-Doug

Offline kev

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2015 at 11:18 »
doug
thanks for your help...greatly appreciated
 these old have had more than a few bends along the way...  and no doubt a few well meaning attempts to straighten
bit of a mystery to work out which ones are supposed to be in there...my brake side does have a nice even bow outa bit more than a quarter of an inch..so I,ll leave that one as is...the other side...right now is dead straight...top to bottom..
so I,ll assemble and mount up a wheel...see what needs what

the actual dimensions are a great help... as soon as the weather clears...I,ll spray on some black and put the pins back in their holes...and see what I have.

thanks again...you folks are legends...

Offline kev

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2015 at 20:51 »
that was great..on one of the other posts a fork on ebay..and clearly shows the same bend as I have...

now...the rear stand..  if I use a diagonal measure from where it contacts the ground.....to the mounting pivot bolts...should both sides be the same???
my bottom right to left pivot  is 18 3/4
bottom left to  right pivot measure 18 inches...

this thing looks like it was made like that...doesn't look bent..

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2015 at 21:53 »
Carl,

Rear stand, 15-5/8 inch from the pivot bolt to the (lower) cross tube. Where it rests on the ground is symmetric with the tyre (about 10 inches center to center of the tubes), but the upper end is not due to the greater offset of the rear stays on the drive side. So you will not get equal measurements going by the diagonal. One side should be 3-3/4 inch from the center line to the inner face of the pivot lug. The other side should be 3-1/8 inch.

-Doug

Offline kev

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:03 »
doug

thanks heaps for the information
  greatly appreciated..it shows that my stand is pretty much the way its supposed to be...

now onto the forks and front wheel...

this thing will oil the roads of queensland again