Author Topic: Brake Relining  (Read 5047 times)

Offline A31ndrew

Brake Relining
« on: 04 May 2015 at 22:03 »
Can anyone suggest a brake relining service in the UK with experience of the pre-war expanding band brake? The linings of my A31 need to be replaced and, as they are very different to the conventional twin shoe arrangement found on most machines, I should like to give the job to someone with experience of this design.
Thanks,
Andrew

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Brake Relining
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2015 at 06:30 »
Hi Andrew
I have had excellent results from Saftek Ltd of Cleckheaton. Just Google for full details on their website.
Chris.

Offline roy

« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2015 at 18:31 »
Hi Andrew, Not sure if it`s too far but I use Friction Services, Unit 1, Burnett Business Park, Gypsy Lane, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 2ED

Web site www.frictionservices.co.uk

I have used them several times, most Bristol section members use them. The owner is into the vintage scene, wanted to know all about the machine, keeps a log of everything.

Roy.

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2015 at 18:54 »
Saftek did my EW amongst other bikes and the service is fast and the work is excellent.

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2015 at 19:23 »
Thanks, Roy. I've seen their adverts in OBM and wondered if, being Bristol-based, they would have experience of Douglas brakes. I'll give them a try.
Regards,
Andrew

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2015 at 19:25 »
Thanks, Roy. I've seen their adverts in OBM and wondered if, being Bristol-based, they would have experience of Douglas brakes. I'll give them a try.
Regards,
Andrew

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2015 at 21:25 »
 Chris - thank you for the suggestion of Saftek. I recently used them for the brakes on my BSA Sloper, and was disappointed by the results. Surprising, as I've heard favourable comments from other people - perhaps I caught them on an off day. Thanks for replying, though.
Andrew

Offline polly

« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2015 at 06:16 »
Andrew, I use friction services and saftek both have excellent service, but with saftek, I use their GREEN GRIPPER material which on all my brakes proves the best, albeit, sadly, not on Douglas band brakes!!, cos their sooo different!!, regards David