Author Topic: Expression of interest for 2 3/4 HP internel gears  (Read 9046 times)

Offline RockDr.

Hi to all,

Seeking expressions of interest.

After asking around  LDMCC and other sources for a new set of internal gears (cam wheel, crankshaft pinion and intermediate gear wheel) for my 2 3/4HP TS  (mine are  RS!) I have come to find that I can not source these so easily.....understandably. So after visiting my local engineering firm I have been given a rough quote of $ 180 - 200 AUD to produce a number of sets - 3 gears x 20 sets (which includes machining, keyway cutting, gear cutting and hardening... finished product). Firstly is this a reasonable price and secondly would anybody be interested in purchasing such a set - obviously the greater the quantity the lower the price.

Chris

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Expression of interest for 2 3/4 HP internel gears
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2014 at 01:11 »
Hi Chris, I would probably be interested. The other thing thats hard to source is the retainer for the one way ball valve that screws in to the end of the crank - its a peculiar Douglas thread.

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2014 at 01:30 »
That should not be a problems to get made... it all depends on quantity as I keep being told.
A good quantity is 50 -100 plus in their eyes..... (by the way the local engineering firm is close family and have expressed they can do things pretty much at cost as a favour. The usual response to people with our affliction is that they don't like to be bothered with the "tyre kickers" as they say in the industry.... hence the unfavorable response to all who restore vintage). But anyway, yes i can get pretty much anything made it just comes down to quantity as it takes about the same amount of time to set up a machine to make one part as it does 30....

Something to ponder....

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2014 at 22:49 »

Chris,

I came across a tin of gears recently - TS timing gears I thought and put them back. If you let me know the o/a diameter of the gear and the number of teeth I'll check on the weekend.

Leon

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:49 »
Cheers Leon,

I think the cam gear and intermediate are 50T while the crankshaft pinion gear is 25T. Ill have to get back to you on sizes.

Offline Alan

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2014 at 00:09 »
Pic of internal gears from a 1924 2 ¾ ..as Ian said, don't lose the spring and small ball bearing..

« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2014 at 18:57 by Dave »

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:42 »
Thanks Alan for the Pic.   I have a feeling that the little ball bearing that your are referring to is the same size that you will find in the E15 bearing from your Magneto if you pull it apart.... I will need to check to make sure but I think it was pretty close as I have just been restoring the magneto recently and it seemed the same.

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2014 at 23:11 »
Confirmed....  the ball bearing you find in the E15 magneto bearing is the same size as the one under the crankshaft  pinion nut. The problem is sourcing the little spring as mentioned.

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2014 at 23:38 »
So far there are only  4 people interested in brand new gears......... Seriously if anyone else would like some please let me know as I can only proceed if there is interest in making a minimum of 10 set. Even if they just sit on your shelf as brand new spares!! I can even stamp the gears with the Douglas trademark (DK) if people want (copyright pending of course).

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:10 »

The tin has 21 intermediate gears in it - all 0.250" thick with 50 teeth, 15 later types (with 3/4" boss, bronze bush, and equal recesses front and rear) and 6 earlier types (5/8" boss, no bush, deep recess on the front, flush on the back).

Chris - email me if you'd like one of these. I can probably also come up with a usable cam, half-time pinion, and magneto gear if you need them. I'd need to know if your magneto has the small or large taper.

Cheers

Leon

Offline ian scott

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2014 at 13:03 »
Count me in. Thanks.

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2014 at 03:49 »
Hi Chris,

Count me in for one or possibly 2 sets (depending on what the final price is).

I obtained the ball bearing and (very light strength) spring for the one way crank breather from the LDMCC, not sure if they still hold stock tho' as I obtained mine a few years ago.

Cheers

Ian

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2014 at 09:45 »
Hi Ian,

Only a few more people have expressed interest so unless I can get 10 or more people I'm afraid my efforts will go to waste and will not be able to produce said sets. However as I do need a few crank pinions I will most probably be making a run of these.

Cheers
Chris

Offline spider2127

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2014 at 01:08 »
Count me in for one set  :)

Offline RockDr.

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2014 at 11:25 »
FYI to all interested in the post to date regarding the gears.

I have received a better quote price for the gear cutting  and it looks viable to proceed in making a batch. Time frame not know at present.

You may be interested to know that the blanks will be made from 4140 material and hardening will be nitride to  5 - 7mm.