Author Topic: Identifying Douglas 350 model and exact year of manufacture if possible  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Kavat

Hi All
I have recently purchased a Douglas basket case that requires parts  Saddle tank and wheel rim currently 25x3 tyre remnants .any information great fully accepted.
Engine EV 1448
Frame FC 1518

Offline ccew350

Kavat. Just had a quick look a the Douglas time line on this forum.
Frame FC Engine EV point to the 1931/2 A31/A32 350sv.
Hope this helps, Colin.
colin

Offline David Lawrence

Hi Kavat,
I have also just checked your "basket case" with the Douglas Club register and would like to confirm that CCEW is quite correct.
It is either an A31 or A32, ironicaly we have details of  others, your frame number is between the last A31 but before the first of our A32 records! so your guess is as good as anybodies. More of interest is that the engine number also falls into this bracket suggesting that it is probably the original engine fitted.
In the era in question Douglas did not match the frame and engine numbers, we assume they were made in batches numbered and then assembled with whichever came to hand from each batch.
The other variable is that many bikes of this era are dated as they were registered and so can vary a year or two depending on their pre sale history.
Your machine does not appear in our register, we would like to add it assuming you have no objection, we never reveal any owner details without the owners permission.
We are also very interested in adding the gearbox number as this information can be very helpful to anyone trying to rebuild, particularly from the basket!
Good luck with the project, they make a great "classic" runabout assuming you do not wish to "burn rubber!"
Now the Ad, you should consider joining the Club for assistance and some spares, sadly not a tank or wheel rim!  Details from the Club website douglasmcc.co.uk
Dave

Offline Kavat

Thanks for the information I was at the Banbury run recently and loved the Douglas motorcycles present which has given me the impetus to make a start on my restoration the bike is almost complete but in a state but can be brought back to life.
Forgot to mention registration plate still present GY8552.
Will let you know gearbox number ASAP again thanks and I will shortlybe joining the club.

Offline oily bloke

Hi Kavat,
Were you the guy who spoke to me about your clutch? I was on the EW350 towards the back of the collection area.
Andy

Offline Kavat

Possibly as I was talking to a Douglas owner in the area you mention I was wearing a motoguzzi baseball cap if that helps once again loved your Douglas.

Offline oily bloke

Yep. That was me. I hope you have some luck finding the parts you need.
The contributors on here are a knowledgeable lot and very helpful. I got loads of advice and help whilst building my EW so don't feel shy about asking whatever you need. There is an extensive archive of posts on here which can be useful too. I would suggest search then ask.
Cheers and good luck.
Andy.