Author Topic: I've just joined this site. I'm trying to date a EW 350 cc.  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Bug1929

I'm trying to date a Douglas EW 350cc I'm looking at buying. Frame: MF 11614 Engine: YE 10570 Gearbox: RG 1288. It's either 1925 or 1926?

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: I've just joined this site. I'm trying to date a EW 350 cc.
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2013 at 11:58 »
The frame and engine numbers confirm this bike to be an EW model and date from 1926 or 1927 which were the two years of the majority of EW manufactured machines. Unfortunately the numbers would appear to be at the juncture of the two years and could be late 26 or early 27. Chris.

Online Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2013 at 14:04 »
Bug1929,

One way to distinguish a 1926 model from a 1927 model is in '27 the transmission mounts on two frame tubes. Late 1925 and '26 models mount on a platform, and so the bottom of the transmission housing (mounting pilasters)  is flat. This can be hard to see if you are purchasing a bike from pictures, but is ready enough to see if examining in person.

Inexplicably Douglas did not change the frame prefix for what was a significant change to the frame.

-Doug

[fix typo.  -Doug, 01Dec13]
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013 at 23:14 by Doug »

Offline Bug1929

« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2013 at 22:59 »
Thank you Chris and Doug for the information, it will help me find out what year the bike is. Thanks again.

Offline oil baron

« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2013 at 00:40 »
Hi

Another point to note is that the early EW have the brake drums spoked into the wheel, but later ones have separate drums mounted on a taper spline and retained by a lock ring.  It is difficult to see on the photo whether that is the case here but looking at the front wheel spokes it appears like it has the earlier arrangement.
Have a look on this site at photo guide by model,  under EW, the first entry by Dave dated 31/3/2010 shows clearly the spokes laced into the drum in one of the photos.
If the gearbox has only a RG prefix it usually means it is the early type, as the gearbox mounted on the modified frames with 2 parallel tubes under the gearbox had a RG/C prefix I think.
Originally the bike would have been on 25" x 3" beaded edged tyres, but this one has been fitted with well based rims and  wired on tyres  because 25" x 3" beaded edged tyres are not obtainable anywhere as far as I know, however 26"x 3 " beaded edged tyres and suitable rims are obtainable here in New Zealand. They were an alternative tyre size, often supplied on "Colonial Models."

Cheers
SteveL

Steve L