Author Topic: Douglas sump  (Read 3872 times)

Online cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Douglas sump
« on: 10 Jul 2012 at 08:09 »
Don't get too excited; this one sits between the bottom of the motor and the twin bottom tubes of the frame. But I must say it's beautifully made! No idea how Douglas could afford to make bits like this... I guess they couldn't really.

Overall length 360mm, overall depth about 90mm, width between centres of frame rails about 90mm. The fixing bolts for the bottom of the crankcase are on a rectangle about 4" x 3". Can anyone identify it? Presumably late 1920s-on 350 or larger.

Cheers,

Leon

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012 at 21:05 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Douglas sump
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2012 at 08:34 »
Yes Leon,

What you have is the sump from a B29 350. The oil pump screws in the bottom and also can be removed to drain the oil. Sorry no I don't need one I have a couple spare.

regards Alan

Online cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2012 at 08:38 »

Thanks Alan - all records broken for speedy response.

Perhaps we could put them together and make an art installation! It's funny the number of very nice parts that are around, with no real home to go to... Was such a lovely thing used for one year only?

Cheers

Leon

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2012 at 09:02 »
Yes well I think the sump was carried over to some of the 30 models anyway that is the way I  made up my H3. The oiling system on these models in totally automatic and be checked on by a small plunger on the timing cover.

Alan