Author Topic: Dragonfly front stand and carrier rack  (Read 4519 times)

Offline cahallett

Dragonfly front stand and carrier rack
« on: 17 Jun 2012 at 09:23 »
Hello,
Does anybody have a rear panier rack for a Douglass Dragonfly and a front wheel stand?
Alternatively are drawings available so that copies can be made?
Many thanks
Chris

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly front stand and carrier rack
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:30 »
Chris,
       If you are a member of the LDMCC you could try postwar spares for the stand - they used to stock it, along with the pivot bolts and spring clip. I am not aware of anyone producing repro carriers. Rear carriers, as supplied by Mr Douglas, only had one cross bar, so were not very good as a rack - they were really only intended as somewhere to hang pannier bags. Some of us Dragonfly owners have made our own racks to a similar design but added extra bars and raised them so that the luggage doesn't beat the paint off of the rear mudguard.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2012 at 15:08 »
Hi Chris,
To follow on from Eddies advice, I have checked with the Douglas Club spares section, they do have the front stands in stock together with the mounting bolts and spring clip.
I have to agree with him regarding the Douglas rear carrier, you may be able to pick one up, or even make one from the spec we have, however they are not particularly useful, Ed's observations are spot on, many people fitted proprietary carriers onto the lifting handles, Craven etc, these can be picked up at autojumbles, saw one at Banbury on Sunday! But this does put a load onto the lifting handles which I have known to break off at the weld. My suggestion is to build your own one on lines similar to Douglas but more sturdy and a more useful platform, I notice you are based in London, I have a very good carrier on my Dragonfly (not built by me I hasten to add!) and if you would like to drop in and see (measure) it up you would be more than welcome. If so please contact me directly on via my email, I am based near Ongar in Essex.
Dave

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2017 at 21:36 »
Hi,
I have just had a Douglas carrier repaired and I repainted it. I'm based in the NW if you want to measure it. As the others say it doesn't look an ideal design to put a bag on. I have only just finished it so have not tried it out yet.
Cheers
Peter