Author Topic: Tips on how to remove kickstart ratchet from gearbox shaft?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Mikerobe

Hello again,

After a bit of a hiatus due to rockets and a rather entertaining trip in to the joys of sciatica I am at last back working on my 350EW.

I am trying to get all the bearings off the gear box shafts and have had to resort to cutting off the outer races with a minitool and tiny cutoff disks. These are all off now ( on two sets of gear box shafts ) and I am now working on removing the inner races.

I have a plan for fashioning a tool tool pull the the inner races off but how do I get the kick start ratchet nut off the end of the shafts? From what I can see it is a nut on a thread and undoes in the opposite direction to the ratchet for the kickstart. However it isnt budging and I wondered if anyone had any wise words on how to persuade it to come off??

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

Offline LATDOUGNUT

Re: Tips on how to remove kickstart ratchet from gearbox shaft?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2010 at 18:12 »
Hello,

There is hardly any nut that will withstand the perpetual hammering of an air screw gun! Make sure that the socket is tight on the nut, soak for 1/2 hour with vinegar mixed with red transmission fluid if there is rust present. Some  heat from an air blower can help as well. Also it sometimes makes things easier if you administer a heavy whack through a copper tube on the nut before trying to undo it. And also do not forget to say the magic words...

Good luck with your nut!

LATDOUGNUT
No Rest -- No Rust. No Trust -- No Bust!

Offline Mikerobe

Re: Tips on how to remove kickstart ratchet from gearbox shaft?
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010 at 13:51 »
Thanks for the advice :) A bit of gentle warming, some more carefully crafted and fitted aluminium soft jaws for the vice and a *MUCH* bigger hammer (in the abscence of air tools) persuaded the nuts off :)

Cheers Mike 8-{>