Author Topic: Assistance required to identify an old frame  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Assistance required to identify an old frame
« on: 18 Feb 2014 at 01:01 »
Thanks to Chris Bowman for sending in this message and photo. To contact Chris, please post a reply in this topic and/or send him a Personal Message via the link in his profile.

Hi all I need some help in identifying a motorcycle frame. As a young boy in the early 60’s I remember being told the frame was from a 1936 Douglas motorcycle. Given its unlikely that I was either listening at the time or have remembered correctly after 50 years I am seeking some help now. The bike frame was modified during the Second World War during extreme petrol rationing in rural New Zealand, I rode this bike as a youth. 50 years down the track it has emerged from storage and I need to dispose of it one way or the other. I may be useful for parts I’m not sure. I reside in Australia and it’s in Wanganui New Zealand. If you can help with advice I would be more than happy to receive feedback via posts or email.

Thank you in anticipation. Chris Bowman

Larger view

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Assistance required to identify an old frame
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2014 at 09:17 »
Well Chris what can I say????????????? Being the owner of several Dodge four vehicles prior to 1926 it appears to me that the circular section under the seat post may have housed the 12 volt starter generator from one of the dodge fours. It looks like batteries would have placed where the engine was. Morris Cowleys also had a big starter driving through the gearbox.

I would love to have it but if you want to visit and bring it along as hand luggage I could make a good offer.

I eagerly await any other comments from the forum.

regards Alan

Offline Chris Bowman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2014 at 20:09 »
Hi Alan, well I have to say I was amazed by your well informed post, yes the starter motor was off a 1936 Dodge and I actually have it here Gympie, its still working which is nice. I'm still at a loss what to do with the frame and so on so I will wait and see if anyone else can add to my knowlege.I'll find a picture of the bike as it was in the 1960's and post it over the next few days. Please feel free to email me if you wish. Regards Chris

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2014 at 02:50 »
Chris,

Definitely not a 1936 frame. It started out as a 2-3/4hp model, though I am not sure what year. Sometime between 1920 (or whenever they discarded the brace between the headstock and the upper frame tube) and 1927, when the last TS model was made.

-Doug