Author Topic: Dip Switch and horn for F/G 31 Douglas  (Read 4966 times)

Offline alexd912

Dip Switch and horn for F/G 31 Douglas
« on: 28 Jul 2009 at 18:46 »
Hi there,

I have to take my bike soon for inspection so I can get my Finnish registration papers, but at some point the bike suffered a short and lost all the wiring. I have rewired the bike to get sidelights and dipped headlight, but according to "The book of Douglas" there was a Dip switch fitted.

Does anyone know what type of switch Douglas used in the 1930, did it have a horn button integrated, or was there even a electrical horn fitted to the F/G31?

From previous inspections im not sure if they will even check this as bikes here do not need yearly inspections its only needed once as this is an imported bike, but I would like to get the bike correct:)

Now this company does have some switches I would just need to know what is a close match, unless anyone has one to sell me??

http://en.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=18

Thanks in advance..

Alex
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline MRD

Re: Dip Switch and horn for F/G 31 Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2009 at 19:15 »
Hi Alex
Don't be to quick to put a dipswitch on. My own 1930 machine although an S6 only had a single beam with a pilot light.
Its worth taking the lens out of the headlight and check to see if there is a connection for the extra bulb filement.

There was an electric horn but I'm sure I've seen period photos with bulb horns.
I hope this helps
Regards        Martin

Offline alexd912

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2009 at 20:21 »
Hi there Martin,

I have been told that my headlight is not the correct type but it has got wiring for low and high beam and at the moment I have the low beam wired to work.

Maybe I will leave it the way it is until I can get the correct headlight (if possible) and put a 1930 period bulb horn on it:)

Any suggestions on where to get a period piece horn from??

Regards

Alex
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline MRD

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2009 at 20:47 »
Alex
I've found that eBay have them on a regular basis, or auto jumbles. You could also try putting "bulb horn" in to a search engine to see if anything comes up.
unless any body on the forum can supply one.
Regards       Martin