Author Topic: Can you help me to find a picture or photo of model b29  (Read 16685 times)

Offline Renato

Could you help me to find a find a picture or photo of model B29 (350 - 1929) and specially the details of the engine.
Thank you in advance.

Renato

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Can you help me to find a picture or photo of model b29
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009 at 02:17 »
Hi Renato,

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find some photos of Alan Coulson's B29 in the Photo Guide section.

Dave

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2009 at 07:51 »
Hi these are on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Douglas-motorcycle-Press-photographs_W0QQitemZ160329578452QQihZ006QQcategoryZ69839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Early Douglas motorcycle Press photographs top one is a B29 Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Renato

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2009 at 18:57 »
Thank you very much for your help,

but my difficult is to understand if Douglas in attached picture is 350- B29 -1929
(In attachmets bike with details of engine)
thank you

Renato

« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2009 at 04:05 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2009 at 01:17 »
Renato,

It seems to be a mixture of several models, little of which, if anything is B29. The B29 would have an cast aluminum sump for the oil, on which the engine sat. This required differences to the frame and engine not present here. The engine is EW 350cc from 1926 to 1929 vintage. The frame is also probably EW from 1927 to 1929 and not later as the saddle tank might suggest, since it still retains the rear wheel stand and not the center stand used from about 1930 onwards. However something odd has been done with the top frame tube to cause it to depart the seat post lug in a horizontal direction instead of sweeping immediately up and forward towards the headstock. It should be visable at the nose of the saddle. The prefix code for the frame serial number should reveal the truth. Other alterations are the use of a 600cc rear parcel carrier, well base wheel rims, and the home-adaptation of the oil sight glass down and adjacent to the timing cover. Still, it looks presentable and capable of being a practical machine to use.

-Doug

Offline Renato

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2009 at 17:58 »
Thank you very much Doug,

your description is really interesting.

As you say this bike is a mix between different models but the truth could be revealed by serial number.
The prefix code for the frame is  MF  and for the engine YE.
We hope that these details could help us to understand someting more.

Thank you in advance.

Renato

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2009 at 00:13 »
Renato,

The engine and frame prefixes are 350cc EW. Reference to the table here -

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part2/vintage4.6.htm

- will give a rough guide to the year.

-Doug

Offline Renato

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2009 at 08:57 »
Thanks Doug,

so probably is 350 EW but which is the year 1927- 1928 or 1929?
On the site I could't find photoes of EW 350 1929.
And also in my bike  (with other odd elements) the tank is different (it covers the frame and is not under).
What do you suggest to do ?
Total restoration or.. nothing because looks like quite good?
I' sorry for my basic english but I've studied it a long time ago.
Bye

Renato.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2009 at 20:22 »
Renato,

I should have said reference to the number ranges in the tables would give you a rough idea of the year. The 1927-29 EW all look virtually similar, and for that matter only differ from the 1925-26 models in small details. The 1929 EW, or A29 as it was cataloged, was in essence a left over 1928 model which used up all the old stock of parts. For example it persisted with the flat tanks, while the more deluxe models started to get the more fashionable saddle tank.

Finding a 350cc EW petrol tank would probably not be difficult, they were a popular machine. However there still is that issue of the frame where it looks to have been modified to accept the saddle tank. The saddle tank might be Douglas, it does seem to have the right shape for the A31 and like Douglas models. Douglas used a common bolt pattern for mounting tanks that would be carried on from model to model, so once the upper frame rail was deal with, mounting the tank would not so difficult. Fixing the frame could be a major project and expense, and that might be the final reason for just leaving it the way it is.

-Doug

Offline Renato

Model 350 EW
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2009 at 09:01 »
Hi Doug,

I follow your advice and I 've checked the frame and engine number on on the reference table and the exact identification in 350 EW 1926.
Now I have a Doubt ;
You think  is  It possible that, with these numbers, that the bike could be a deluxe model built with old stock of parts?  could be defined A 29?
(Or is mode probable  that was built in 1926 and the owner changed some accessories like tank, to make it more fashionable)
Thank you very much for your help and your competence.

Renato

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2009 at 01:38 »
Renato,

The frame has been modified from how it would have left the factory. So it is a 1926 model (and probably late 1926 considering how the transmission mounts in the frame) that has been altered by some past owner to a more stylish saddle petrol tank.

-Doug

Offline Renato

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2009 at 22:01 »
Duog,

thank you very much for your help.
But now the last question is if you have got an idea where I could find some technical elements about 350 EW 1926 like :

Weight
Maximum Power (Kw)
rev
cubic Capacity

This elements  (if is possible in a official version) are really important in our country for having a permit to drive in public roads.

Thank you,

Renato

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2009 at 04:18 »
Renato,

Maximum Power, and Cubic Capacity can be had from the factory sales literature. I can send you a PDF of the 1927 Standard and Sports EW350 (PM me with email details), but in summary they mention "...well over ten horsepower." which if taken as 10-11HP equates to 7.5-8.2Kw. This from 60.8mm bore by 60mm stroke for approximately 348cc.

Weight is given as exceeding the 200 lb limit (for special road tax reduction) due to having to incorporate several strengthening improvements. Previous models were just under this limit, but how much over the EW was is not stated.

Nor is the maximum revolution given, not being something they were much concerned with on a commuter model. It could be figured out from same source which started maximum top speed of 65MPH for the Sports model, overall gear ration of 6.25:1, and with the standard 25x3" balloon tyres.

-Doug

Offline Renato

« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2009 at 06:01 »
Thank you Doug,

my e-mail is [REMOVED]

regards,

Renato

PS: if I can help you with something about italian vintage bike you have only to ask!
:)

[email address removed for security.  -Doug]
« Last Edit: 01 May 2009 at 10:03 by Doug »