Author Topic: Model of frame and motor  (Read 14701 times)

Offline ste

Model of frame and motor
« on: 24 Feb 2009 at 10:11 »
I have a frame number 74100 and a motor 73591. I'd like to build a Douglas from these bits.  Can anyone help me on which model I should try to aim to build?
I also have wheels and forks. The frame has a rusty tank and handlebars, but has been stripped of all bolts and bushes. No gearbox unfortunately, but I think it's a good start.
The Douglas book states it should be a 1924 model. I'd like it to be as close to authentic as possible.

Online Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Model of frame and motor
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2009 at 10:44 »
Hello Stephen, Firstly did you dispose of the other 14 ? machine. I am sure it would be of help if you can post a picture of what you have in regards to your future project. Geaboxes for that model can still be found and I find usually go for A $80 bare to approx A $ 200 with pulley and sprocket. The hardest items to find are carbs manifolds good belt rims tank pump and valve and sight feed. I for one often pass on items to Aust and NZ members however I, like other members am wary of providing parts for a get rich future ebay sale. Anyway post a pic.
regards Alan

Offline ste

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2009 at 03:31 »
Thanks Alan. Yes the 14 has gone. My wife's bike and she wanted it gone. I was going to sell all the spares on Trade me as well, but a friend of mine who also has a 1920's Douglas, has offered me a front wheel and other bits. He said: Why don't we build another one". I'm really keen and I'm mad eh? Will post pics soon.

Regards,
Stephen

Offline ste

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2009 at 08:13 »
Here are some of the photos. Hope they work.

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009 at 09:50 by Dave »

Offline ste

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2009 at 08:16 »
And some more photos.

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009 at 09:51 by Dave »

Online Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2009 at 10:58 »
Yes ripper Stephen Your pics have hit the mark and I am sure other than me will make comments. I can only say that I would be  shocking a few if I admitted how many TS, SW and CW I have had and passed on during the years. However I have never owned or seen available that style of timing cover. The flywheel clutch suggests it may have been an SW and if so would have had a 2 speed gearbox with side mounting plates and a kick starter. Any way lets see what other forum members think????? regards Alan

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2009 at 13:20 »
Hi Alan and Stephen
   I have seen this style of timing chest cover before on one occasion only so it is obviously quite rare and as you can probably guess it is designed to take a dynamo for a very early complete electrical system in place of the usual gas set.   Chris.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2009 at 00:55 »
A clipping of the rare P&H electric option for the 2-3/4hp:

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2009 at 02:43 »
Looks like veteran barrels on the engine - should have gone with the engine you sold Stephen. It had the barrels you want now!

Offline ste

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2009 at 03:44 »
Wow!! Thank you all for the information supplied.
Now begs the questions:

1. Should I attempt a restoration based on these few parts? It is daunting.

2. Will I be able to find all those missing parts like the bushes or bolts off the frame? Plus petrol and oil caps, oil plunger, manifold, fork springs, back carrier etc etc.

3. What are the chances that I would find a matching dynamo set for the motor? Or just replace it with a conventional timing chest?

Anyway, thanks guys. You are great!!!

Stephen.

Online Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2009 at 09:26 »
Hello Stephen, On further study of the gearbox pics the adaptor plates that are used to accomodate the kickstarter seem to be there. If you wanted to be original you have to look for cases with NG prefix LG being the common prefix used for normal 2 speed. The chain wheel would also be 5/8 pitch different to the CW that I believe incorporated a cush drive on the chainwheel.

The motor and frame digits starting with 7 although in GB is a 25 model were still be sold with the 5 on the timing cover being over stamped with a 6 even though EW were for sale in the showrooms. I classify my TS and SW models with 7 as 1926. Actually my TS number starts with 8 being originally a Stationary engine motor. I even ran it for a while with the stationary set up of pump and sump etc but on leaning to the left it over oiled and put up a smoke screen.

best of luck Alan

Offline ste

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2009 at 04:43 »
Thanks again Alan. I've just been to a friend's place. He has a 1924 model. It is a 2 speed and has no clutch.
What model would this be in 1924? The frame and tank look identical to mine.
Is there any reason why I can't build one like his?
Could I replace the flywheel with one without the clutch as mine is missing all the levers to work the clutch on the back of the flywheel.

Stephen

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2009 at 04:54 »
Stephen,

Have a look here in the Identifying Douglas Motorcycles (in the Reference section)-

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part1/veteran3.3.htm

I think it will help answer some of your questions on 2-3/4hp models.

A chronological time line view can be found here-

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,1645.0.html

Also in the  Photo Guide to Douglas Motorcycles by Model you can find (to date) sixteen posts on various 2-3/4hp models showing some of the variations and changes through the years-

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/board,51.0.html

-Doug

Offline ste

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2009 at 07:09 »
Thanks for that.
In my "inexpert" (is that a real word?) opinion, the TS model is closest to my friends bike.
I'll try and get a photo of it and load it up next week.

Thanks.

Online Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2009 at 07:48 »
Yes Stephen by all means go for the TS. At the time of restoring my first TS many years ago I restored side by side a SW with clutch and kickstarter and also a CW with the 3 speed box kick starter and clutch. For mainly reasons I guess simplicity and fun I rode the TS in excess of 2000 miles the latter two machines I wouldn't have rode more than 10 miles each. Even with traffic lights the knack of finding neutral and a paddle and flick into gear or alternate a stop and paddle start, heaps of fun I assure you and all the young ones that have ridden the old TS around an oval.   regards Alan

Offline ste

« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2009 at 08:35 »
Thanks Alan. I just found the serial number of the gearbox and it's NG 59854. So I guess I'll be looking for another box.
I'd better start hunting for Douglas owners in NZ with plenty of spare parts.
I'll be in touch.

Thanks again,
Stephen.

Offline ste

« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2009 at 05:55 »
Can someone tell me what model carby will go with the 1924 TS please?
Amal or Amac and what model?
Is it also possible that export models had different carbs to British models?

Stephen