Author Topic: DOUGLAS LIGHT AERO ENGINES..from Kingswood to Cathcart"...in stock on Amazon  (Read 24551 times)

Offline Brian

Hi, all you aerophiles.

I tried to post an item under"Douglas Aero Engines" in "General Discussion", but
I think it must have died of shame (advertising!).

Anyway guys, my Publisher (Redcliffe Press) is obviously giving me the hurry-up
 by putting a blurb in "Forthcoming Books" on his site....www.redcliffepress.co.uk
to the effect that Publication is June (he told me July, if I got it all to him by March 31!)
The cover design will be added to the blurb soon I guess, but it seems to be coming out sooon.
I do hope some of you guys will consider it worth 3 or 4 copies of Classic Bike (£16.95)

Best Wishes

Brian
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2011 at 06:20 by Brian »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
I'm certainly looking forward to it's publication Brian - you'll have at least one sale!
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Brian

I'm pleased to advise that I have today finished the Book.It is now on its way to Redcliffe Press , in Bristol, for their attention and publication by July. Thanks to all who have chipped in with comment and information along the way. I hope it finds your interest in due course. It was good to discover another "Fairy" name for an otherwise identified project at the last minute. Perhaps someone who reads the book and has other data or long hidden gems will be encouraged to bring them out into view once again.

Brian Thorby

Offline Roger Gibbard

I've had the pleasure and privilege of reading the draft of Brian's book.  I am amazed at the amount of time and effort he's put into it over the last few years and the distances he's travelled in amassing his facts, figures and photos.  The book is an easy and damned good read and will be well worth buying.

All the breast, Brian!
G. Roger

Offline Brian

"Coming soon" is now a bit of a question, rather than a statement. I am advised by Redcliffe Press that it will not be July publication. I am not entirely happy with this, but there is nothing I can do.I hope potential readers will retain their interest.More news when I get something more concrete. :(

Best Wishes,

Brian Thorby

Offline Brian

I have some news which is some compensation to having to bear a delay in publication.
The delay will now allow me to add a page to Chapter 10 "Survivors".This page will show
a picture of a Four Cylinder ohc Aero Engines Ltd Pixie engine which has survived from
1938. Until now I had come to the conclusion that, apart from a battered crankcase sold
at Beaulieu Auto Jumble some years back, there were no survivors of the Weir or Aero Engines Ltd Fours.
The somewhat corroded (Elektron)engine appears complete, except for its AMAL updraught Carb and
 the C.B. Housings  on the two magnetos. Maybe I'll find a dusty V-8 before the book  hits the shelves.

Best wishes

Brian

Offline graeme

• Master Member
The book is sounding better all the time Brian!  I look forward to getting my copy.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline TonyC

Hi Brian,

Have just managed to get some pictures of Dads aeroplane engine which dates from 1922. The engine number is CE166. It has the full frame still fitted along with the mounting for the propeller drive. It also has an oil tank fitted above the engine. Cables are also still attached to levers for fitting in the cockpit. Carburettors are there but damaged, probably broken when the plane crashed !
Will try to download pictures tonight.
Hope its not too late to submit in the book.

Tony

Offline TonyC

Just a few of the photos taken.
Can anyone recognise the Amal carburettor type in the image. Both parts are badly distorted, broken and with lumps missing!
Engine number makes it probably a 6hp motorcycle engine. Can anyone confirm?

Regards Tony

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2009 at 10:35 by Dave »

Offline TonyC

Here's a side view

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2009 at 10:37 by Dave »

Offline Brian

Thanks for the excellent shots of the CE engine Tony. As your Dad will have related,I was able to identify the
aircraft to which it was fitted ( in 1936) when a Sydney H. Butler built a Mignet HM14 "Flying Flea" at Studley Green Garage, High Wycombe, after he sent me a hazy snapshot of the "bedstead" type subframe/engine.
The triangulated tubular structures are standard Flying Flea mountings.
The perforated Flywheel and sprocket are exactly asper the pictures I have of the crashed Flea. The Carbs look to be Type 6 Amals, by the holes around the mixing chamber body. The original CE motor had a single AMAC Carb across the rear of the 'cases parallel with the cylinders.The "crash photo" shows the engine /subframe both intact with only  the propeller tips shattered when it nosed over on landing. The newly-wed Mrs Butler forbade Syd from further flights, so perhaps the carb damage came later.
Your Dad said he had acquired the engine from the same area,so it may have lain around virtually unused for most of the intervening decades. As the hiatus with my book's publication is still continuing as "autumn" I  certainly aim to fit at least one of the pics etc in the "Survivors" Chapter 10.It is already mentioned in the text. Now we have an Engine Number as well.There were 4 variations of the CE /  regarding small flywheel;No flywheel; no flywheel or oil-pump; and special flywheel /sprocket arrangements with long crankcase studs for the factory-option cast alloy reduction gear housing. Your CE is the basic motorcycle-type with home-brewed structure for the 2:1 reduction chain drive to prop-shaft. Its a good contrast with Henry Body's engine/reduction-gear/prop assembly displayed at the Kingswood Heritage Museum, which has the Douglas cast reduction-gear mounting.

Best Wishes
Brian

Sydney Butler's Flea with CE 166 6HP Engine

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2009 at 21:11 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Photo added to Brian's post above.

Offline TonyC

Hi Brian

Any news on Kingswood to Cathcart ?

Offline Brian

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the interest.As it happens, the answer is yes. I should (operative word) have the "visuals" for the Cover
of "Douglas Light Aero Engines, from Kingswood to Cathcart" by this weekend.Then, as it's currently being typeset,
I should have the proofs of the text etc back within 3 weeks or so. After that, the publishers have a notion that pre- Christmas sales prospects are not usually exciting for "special interest" books, so it might fester on the blocks till after Christmas ! I have made my opinions clear,so I hope for an improvement.At least its on the move again.I'll post the book's flyer, based on the cover, as soon as its to hand.

Thanks again,

Brian

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Brian sent in this Advance Information Sheet for his soon-to-be-released book "Douglas Light Aero Engines - From Kingswood to Cathcart"

Printable PDF copy of the above

« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2009 at 09:12 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Information on pricing and how to order can be found here.

Offline Brian

Well,all Douglas-powered aircraft lovers, the end is in sight.Its been like pulling teeth getting any action from the Publishers over the years, but there are only a few books left in distributors warehouse,apart from spurious claims on Amazon etc, so when they are gone they are gone.There will be no reprint. Redcliffe Press have lost some of the little rubber letter-stamps from their John Bull Printing Outfit (remember them?). I enjoyed the research process, the hours of drawing, and made many new friends along the way,so thanks to all who contributed and also the hardy souls who bought a copy.
I shall buy up the dregs of stock and make them available  through the LDMCC New Conrod Journal ,or to anyone who likes to contact me,at a suitable price.There will not be a reprint...99 to go !
Kind Regards,
Brian

« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2017 at 15:15 by Brian »

Offline Brian

A Happy New Year to all Douglas Enthusiasts!
This note is to confirm that,apart from various eBay offerings, I now have taken over all remaining stock of my book from the Distributors,leaving about 10 copies at Publishers-Redcliffe Press.
I am making the copies I now have at home available to LDMCC Members, and readers of this Forum, at a special price of £10.00 GBP PLUS Postage at cost. From the proceeds I shall donate to Club Funds to assist Spares funding etc.
Thanks to all who have already bought my work.There will be no reprint.
Best Wishes
Brian

Offline richard s1

Hello Brian
             I hope you're keeping well.
It's good to see that your books have nearly all gone. You did an excellent job with your research and turned it into a most informative read that fills in a large gap in the Douglas history.
            At over 200 pages it is well worth the original asking price, and now at only a tenner it's a bargain for anybody interested in aeronautics and Douglas.
           All best wishes for the future
                                                Richard Matthews   

Offline Brian

Thanks for your support Richard. I attach a pic of the "real" full size 1966 Ward Gnome with its 1915 4hp Douglas "power" unit.Still tiny.

Happy New Year

Brian